We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wiamea Canyon

Spokane
Level Contributor
839 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Wiamea Canyon

I saw a post here in the past few months about Wiamea Canyon. It referred to a different viewpoint that was spectacular. I remember the person posting stating we would just drive past the marked viewpoint and continue on to this other location.

We are leaving for our trip in a few weeks and sat down last night to review and I realized I did not have that info saved.

I did a search and read about leaving early to miss the fog and saw many posts about hiking that were helpful but I cannot find exactly what I am looking for.

If one of you DE’s or other Travelers can remind me of what I need to know about that viewpoint or other parking places like that – I sure would appreciate it!

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wiamea Canyon

Ive been there once on a day trip and it's a very easy drive and easy to see which are the view points. Do you have the Kauai Revealed book? Their driving maps are easy to follow. When will you be there?

California
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wiamea Canyon

One of the best views is at the Pu'u o Kila Lookout which is a ways past the Kalalau Lookout where most people stop. As mentioned, the maps in The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook are very good.

Spokane
Level Contributor
839 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wiamea Canyon

Not certain what day - we are trying not to plan anything besides the Southern Star and Golf Tee Times.

I have the Revealed Book... I will have to check that when I get home. Maybe that is where I read to pass the main viewpoint and to go to a place past it.

I swear I read that someplace... lol... must have a case of vacation shortimer memory going on today!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,544 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wiamea Canyon

Aloha,

After you visit Waimea canyon, continue up the mountain to the end of the road. You will end up at an overlook of Kalalau valley, possibly one of the most spectacular views on Kauai, if not all of Hawaii. One of my favs, for sure.

A lot of times early mornings will be clear, sometimes not. When the clouds come in, sometimes you will be in the clouds, bad for the view but it will give you a very special feeling, close to nature and the aina( a spirit of being close to mother nature).

I really dont like to rush it up there as , one minute it can be cloudy, the next clear.

The sunsets are just out of this world, the colors changing, the coolness setting in, the birds looking for thier last meal. The trees and plants up there give you that special feeling of being in Hawaii.

You will notice a park on the way up. It is Kokee. Another wonder in itself. The people at the museum can advise you on the tril conitions. They also rent cabins, rustic so not for everyone and must be booked far in advance. Take your time and dont rush it up there. You will be glad you did.

Aloha

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wiamea Canyon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm pretty sure you must be referring to the "Pu'u O Kila" lookout - which is at the very end of the road in Koke'e Park and which offers amazing views down into Kalalau Valley - just continue on the potholed (but drivable) road past Koke'e Lodge and Museum and you will eventually come to the lookout at the very end. This is the view that, if you are lucky - you will be rewarded with:

remaxkauai.com/photo-tour/kalalau-valley01.j…

In order to have the best chance of views not being obscured by clouds, which come in pretty regularly every day - try to get there before 10am - that way hopefully you will have lovely views and you will also avoid the slow moving, diesel spewing buses that chug their way slowly up the narrow road to the canyon.

Definitely get up there early if at all possible - the colors are much more intense in the mornings as well.

Well worth the early to rise trip!

Malama Pono,

Janet

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wiamea Canyon

Just keep going as far as you can to the Pu'u o Kila Lookout. I'm certain that's what you are speaking of. Be sure to stop at the Kalalau Lookout also...it's stunning as well. The photo I am using right now was made at the Pu'u o Kila Lookout with an Iphone....the photos from the "real" camera will take your breath away. Hope you catch it on a beautiful clear day...there's nothing so beautiful. The day we were there, many artists were scattered about with their oils and painting away!!

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wiamea Canyon

I few yrs ago my children took a drive up Wimea Canyon, all the way to the top to where you cant drive anymore. We parked the car then walked up a paved road (closed for cars), there was a lookout there and you could still keep walking beyond that. The paved road ended and then you walked and climbed down a dirt path. We were there on a day trip from Oahu and the view from the spot after the dirt path ended and you could go no more was just amazing and breathtaking, this is the reason why we decided to vacation iN Kauai this time around. What is the name of this section of Wimea called?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wiamea Canyon

Good on the OP for the research.....

Waimea Canyon:

The first WAIMEA CANYON lookout is pretty darned nice....with super photo ops and facilities and a large parking area. Steps, or an easy ramp makes access simple. Lots of viewing room. We still stop there sometimes, and sometimes we continue on, if we are planning on hiking the koke'e state park trails.

Check your Ultimate Kauai Guide Book page 84

Super map and info.

Driving up Waimea Canyon Drive....the first and good lookout is

at about the 10 mile mark. You will have mile markers on the side of the road . Really helpful in finding most anyplace. UKG shows these mile markers.

The second lookout just past the 12 mile mark, is called P'u Ka Pele...after a couple of attempts , we just by pass that view point. Not worth the stop in our opinon.

Now, coninuing up, after you leave. the Waimea Canyon lookout, there will be a small side of the road turn out...well actually you park on the side parallel to WCD.

You will see it pretty easily, as there will be a couple of cars there ( usually) and you will see the waterfall in the far distance. This is not a county or state designated view point with hand rails and bathrooms. Very small on she side of the canyon viewing point. Watch where you step...long ways down.

We, climb up the small trail to the right, which gets us away from other people and a totally peaceful viewing.

Sorry that I cannot give you a mile marker, but you will spot it...sometimes cars are parked on both sides, and you will see people by the guard rail taking photos.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After viewing Waimea Canyon, and getting your pics...keep on driving up Waimea Canyon Drive...the scenery becomes very lush and beautiful.

About the 15/16 mile mark, on your left you will see the Koke'e Museum, and restaurant. Gift shop, book store, and trail condition info from the ladies who work at the museum. Also facilities.

You can stop, or keepn keeping on...

The kalalau lookout is about the 18 mile mark....and is definitely worth a stop.

We generally , now, continue up past the Kalalau lookout to the very end of the road to the PU'U O KILA LOOKOUT. Both are worth a stop for your first visit.

Parking here, we most often, park and walk to the Pu'u O Kila lookout.

And then , we walk the few yards to the trail head for the Pihea Trail.

Not too far down the trail , will be a super great photo op, of the Kalalau Valley....super beautiful...and the location you will see on the covers of books, calendars, post cards, etc. Wild and natural, so pay attention, but entire families walk this trail.

, have a grand time.....

Denny

Edited: 28 April 2011, 21:35
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wiamea Canyon

We found the view of Waimea Canyon beyond main view that Denny mentions. It is good but do not skip main view, it is better I think, and for sure go to end of road for view down on NaPali coast. we did not first time we went.

Spokane
Level Contributor
839 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wiamea Canyon

Wow - thanks to each and every one of you! Your love of the island is contagious! I hope I catch it!

After a chaotic day at work to sit down and dream of this peaceful drive is such a gift! I will print this and tuck it in my guidebook to remind me of what to look out for and where to stop along the way.

22 more days, my friends... so very excited. Starting to feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!