We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

We're going to be in Kauai for 7 nights in May. Would it make sense to stay in one place (ie. Kapaa) and drive all over? Or split it amongst the North shore and the South shore?

We're a small group in our mid-20's and looking for a balance of activities (hiking, sightseeing, shopping), and relaxation.

NE PA
Level Contributor
948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

As small as the island is it's not worth packing and unpacking again and going through the hassle of checking in and out twice. Just pick the area you want to stay in and just do day trips to the other side. We prefer staying on the north shore and then taking a day or two during our stay to head south.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

Stay in Kapa'a and drive. You're going to end up driving to various sites no matter where you stay. Might as well stay more or less equidistant from everything.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

In my opinion, it makes more sense to stay in one place for the 7 nights and driving to the other areas of the island. Kauai is relatively small and very beautiful so the drives are not that bad. In fact one of the best memories that I have from my stay on Kauai last year was getting up just before first light (I stayed in Princeville on the North Shore) and driving to Port Allen for an early morning heli tour. The roads were empty and the drive along the "Coconut coast" as the sun came up was fabulous! Also, many resorts in the area give you your first night free if you book for a minimum of 5 nights.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

Empty roads along the Coconut Coast?

Musta been a weekend!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

Yes, Kwils11, that drive was on a Sunday morning. :) The rest of the time, there were always some cars on the road, but not a lot of heavy traffic by US Mainland standards.

denver
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

How about if you have two weeks on Kauai around Christmas/New Years? Stay or split? Some people seem to think the north/south shores are nicer than the east area.

The trip is my wife and I, our 15 year old son, and maybe his 16 year old best friend. Want a mix of activities and relaxing at the beach or pool or hot tub.

Opinions?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

I had a Pali Ke Kua Condo on the North Shore and loved it. It sat up on the Sea Cliffs above Secret Beach. It was extremely beautiful and relaxing. It may, however, be a bit too quiet for teenagers if they like to be where the action is. That might be one reason to split a two week trip, but I just don't like spending a whole day packing up and moving from place to place on vacation if it is just from one part of an island to another.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

We spent the whole time on the south shore. If I had it to do over again, I would split my time. We only made it to the north side one time and the traffic was no picnic. Waking up and going to sleep to the unique environment of the north shore is not the same as driving to it.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

We stayed in a beautiful condo at Hanalei Bay Resorts on the North shore. We drove to the Poipu area one day. The beaches in the south are beautiful but, to me, don't hold a candle to the stunning scenery of the north-with gorgeous beaches and mountains as backdrop. The condo we stayed in was a 1 BR (so probably too small for you) but it had an unobstructed panoramic view of ocean and mountains. Don't do thru the resort if you decide to stay there as the quality of condos varies widely. You want to go thru an individual owner or real estate company so you can see lots if pics of interior and views you'll be getting. Be sure to go to Tunnels, Kee, Hideaways beaches and beach at Princeville and Hanalei Bay resorts. Have fun!

Oh, I really didn't answer your question-having been to both areas, if I go again I would stay on the north shore the entire time and probably try to get the same condo

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 nights in Kauai - stay in one area or split?

I'll take the opposite side and say split. The island is small, but the roads are mostly one lane. Traffic can be a nightmare. I stayed in Princeville and it took a while to get to the South side--1.5 hours or so. If you get stuck behind a slow driver, you're screwed.

I think it would be nice to conquer the South side, then move to the North and conquer it. It will make life easier. And packing up and moving hotels is not a pain. I do it all the time. consider it a vacation within a vacation!