We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

California
Level Contributor
37,205 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

I just got back from my Johnny Depp fix, and enjoyed the scenes of Kauai in the movie Pirates of the Carribean. There is one scene where Capt Sparrow is escaping through coconut trees and it sure likes the coconut groves of the Coco Palms Hotel. I remember seeing some trucks parked there last year but couldn't remember if it was for a movie or not. Many scenes were filmed on Oahu too.

Overall the movie was okay!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
886 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

Yeah, they filmed down there several nights last summer. My kids kept wanting to drive by, as if Johnny Depp would be lingering next to the highway or something. The movie got so-so reviews so we'll wait for netflix.

California
Level Contributor
37,205 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

Nothing like the big screen, though. I must say the scenes with the mermaids in it were very good! Lots of screaming from the upper seats.

tucson
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

Ahoy me hearties Pirates was a good show. In 3D pure fun! We saw lots of the crew at the Marriott Lihue last June, and even Penelope Cruz late at night and Geoffrey Rush the film crew was staying there. Recognized scenes from Allerton Gardens and the tree from Jurrastic park in the movie. We are leaving for Kauai in 10 days. Good Flick.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, they definitely filmed at Coco Palms Hotel - altho' I don't know for what part of the film since I haven't seen it yet.

We don't have 3D here on Kaua'i - and the reviews are pretty unanimously bad for it comparative to the others - but heck with Johnny Depp - and Kaua'i - I'm game for it!! JD got something like 55 mil for it - he didn't even read the script before he said "I'm in"!!! Can't blame him!

Hubby said he did a poster for a couple girls today at Costco - it was Johnny Depp and them together during the filming of the movie - lucky gals!! I never caught a glimpse of him while he was here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

I'm looking forward to seeing it! Our grandson enjoyed it but missed some of the characters from the other movies.

I had my radar out for JD last summer but no luck. I think the closest I came was at Plantation Garden, but our waiter would neither confirm or deny that he was there.

Janet, the girls having the poster made might be the ones who had their picture taken with him at Merrimans. I got to see it on my daughter's Facebook. Lucky girls!!

Johnny might not be back on Kauai any time soon. I just read that he bought a private island named Little Halls Pond Cay in the Exuma Cays of the Bahamas.

California
Level Contributor
37,205 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

<<Johnny might not be back on Kauai any time soon. I just read that he bought a private island named Little Halls Pond Cay in the Exuma Cays of the Bahamas.>>

He wouldn't happen to have paid $55 million for it, did he???????

California
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

I'm not sure how much he paid. Were you outbid? :)))

Vancouver,B.C.
Level Contributor
392 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

JD was on Jay Leno about two months ago and showed pictures of that island . Me spoke as though he had been living there for awhile.

Regards

Tim

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, I know he has been a long-time resident of the South of France with his partner - actress/model/chanteuse - Vanessa Paradis - and he has a little girl.

But heck, I'm sure he has more than one residence!!!!

Just wish he'd think about buying somewhere here on Kaua'i!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Argghh! Good scenes of Kauai and Oahu in new Pirates movie!

Went to the local cinema multiplex last Saturday arvo' after lunch at sushi train. Saw Source Code which was okay. When it finished, we decided to be naughty & snuck into the next cinema about 10mins before it started. "Pirates" was on and we sat back, gloating at our freebie as the ads played. Way to go! Don't really get an opportunity to be sneaky.

Then the lights dimmed out and the feature started. "Horrible focus, I hope they fix it fast", I thought. Then the penny dropped. I looked around and noticed that Jen & I were the only ones not wearing those goofy glasses. It was in 3D! Even worse was that I'm colourblind and 3D just doesn't work for me. It just makes me nauseous. We slinked out feeling a tad embarrassed.

Epic fail. Hahahaha!

Edited: 23 May 2011, 10:17