We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best luau in Kauai

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best luau in Kauai

We are a family of 4 (children ages 10 and 7). We've got great advice on Tripadvisor regarding accommodation (staying at the Kauai Hyatt for 3 nights and Regency Condos for 4 nights) and activities (hiking and snorkelling).

However, we have seen limited information on what is the best luau to attend in Kauai. We think it'd be rather entertaining for our kids who'd want to see some hula dancing, taste some traditional Hawaiian foods, etc.

I have heard that the Hyatt luau, the luau at the Courtyard Marriott, and Smith's luau are good. But if you had to attend one, which would it be??? And why? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,622 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best luau in Kauai

Aloha! Well, you might read past threads on the luau's on Kauai - it was recently discussed.

I have only been to the Smith's and one on Maui. But perhaps this will help, as I had my kids (6 & 13yrs) with me at Smith's and they loved it. There was lots of food to choose from - the pork is incredible and you have to give poi a try (though my kids didn't)! Also, the grounds are nice to walk around on, you get to see the whole ceremony of removing the pig from the ground (many luau's skip this) and I thought the show was lively and fun - seemed like the performers were having as much fun dancing as we were watching them.

You can also take your children to watch hula dancing - a few of the malls have free performances during the week, and my kids enjoyed that also. Hope this feedback gives you a better idea. You will love your time on Kauai - we can't wait to go back! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best luau in Kauai

I think the variety of food and entertainment at Smith's will appeal to your children. Besides Hula (ancient and modern) there is Tahitian, Filipino, a Japanese parasol dance, Chinese Dragon Taming dance, Samoan Fireknife performance and much much more. It's very dramatic and memorable - and everyone gets a good seat. Highly recommend Smith's for an evening of fun, featuring all the different cultures that make up Hawaii.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best luau in Kauai

I completely agree with hula. I may be branded a heretic, but I think Smith's is a more authentic luau than some of the other "authentic" luau's.

How can you be authentic and not showcase the wonderful, beautiful and different cultures that helped make Kauai what it is today? The Portugese, Chinese, Japanese, and Filipinos didn't just come to work in the cane fields then go home!

I was just talking to one of the uncles the other day about his great-great grandfather who came to Kauai in the 1800's from Portugal to work the cane fields. Very interesting stuff if you like history.

Altanta
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best luau in Kauai

My husband and I will be staying at the Regency in June. Please report what you experience was there. I haven't heard a lot about the condos, but they look great online.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best luau in Kauai

Thanks for all your replies to my post! Sounds like Smith's is the one to go to with the kids.

Jamine: I will post my review of the Regency condo on Tripadvisor when I return the week of March 20th. Stay tuned!!!