We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

helicopter vs airplane

iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
helicopter vs airplane

I was wondering if you would suggest an airplane ride over kauai or a helicopter? I was also wondering if they are very fussy about the weight limit as I border the 250 lb. limit. do they weigh very many people to check weight? thanks for any info you can give us. lindon

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: helicopter vs airplane

We really enjoyed the Tropical Biplanes experience with the open air. Many might say it's not as thrilling as a helicopter tour, but I'm a bit afraid of helicopters, so we opted for the nice easy slow biplane. Since there is only room for two besides the pilot, they will take you whereever you want to go.

They did ask our weight when we booked, both times, and took our word for it. I believe it has to do with safety and/or making adjustments for counterweight, to ensure a smooth ride. If this is the type of tour you are interested in, the website is tropicalbiplanes.com

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: helicopter vs airplane

IME, the helicopter companies will weigh you. Weight and balance is critical on a helo.

I've done the helo tour and loved it, but that biplane looks pretty cool.

N California-State...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: helicopter vs airplane

We've taken the wings over Kauai airplane tour and it was totally awesome! I'm a commercial pilot and found them to be extremely safety conscious and competent. Even though the weather was a little dicey the flight was great and far better than a helo tour in my opinion. They give a great tour! http://www.wingsoverkauai.com/

kevin

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: helicopter vs airplane

Fixed Wing:

With your weight, you will NOT be able to fly on a helo, unless you purchase an extra seat, along with your original seat.

Suggest you give AirVentrues a call (866-464-7864). They have a new high wing 7 passenger G8 aerovan.....large viewing windows, and everyone has a window seat with plenty of room. No crowding at all.

Very spacious. When I flew with them we only had four on board, plus the pilot. The seats are in a single row along each side,with an isle between them.

They slow fly so that you will have plenty of opportunity for photo shots and viewing.

Company is owned by local people, Bill is a Capt. for Northwest Airlines, and his wife, Donna, who takes care of the office duties is a local hawaiian lady, with loads of cheerful aloha. Jim , another of Airventures pilot's is a retired Delta airline capt.

Cost is about $ 140.00/per person.

it will be a circle island fight, about the same routes as the helo tours,and I have also flown with three different helo companies .

They are very friendly, as well as highly professional,and you will have a superb flying and sightseeing experience.

I flew up front in the right seat with the pilot, and was very aware of his procedures. Perfect. I have many thousands of hours, as a commercial pilot, charter pilot, corporate pilot, certified flight instructor,and the last 15 years as an instructor pilot for air combat usa. I was paying attention to all aspects of their program, from greeting, to the flight, the views, photo ops, safety, and the welcome upon the return.

Outstanding in all categories.

Denny

5. Re: helicopter vs airplane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 12:21