We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Which Na Pali trip

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Which Na Pali trip

I don't know which Na Pali catamaran trip to book--Captain Andy's new Southern Star or Na Pali catamaran. Anyone that has taken either one please advise me! It will be me, my husband, and 12 yo son. We like Trilogy on Maui and like to snorkel. Mainly I want to see the Na Pali coastline. Thanks!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Which Na Pali trip

While there are going to be lots of differences between the two, the most important difference is their departure point. Captain Andy's departs from the south side at Port Allen while Na Pali Cat departs from Hanalei on the north shore. Where are you staying? The north shore is a better departure point that will allow you to see more of the Na Pali coast (you will be looking at it basically the whole trip) whereas you have a lot of non-NaPali time with a south shore departure. That said, if I was staying on the south shore, I wouldn't drive to the north shore for a Na Pali cruise (you'd have to leave very, very early).

On the flipside, Na Pali Cat is not a luxury boat experience whereas it appears the Souther Star is. If that is important to you, you may be disappointed with Na Pali Cat.

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Which Na Pali trip

We're staying at the Marriott in Lihue. I think it is about the same distance to either.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Which Na Pali trip

The Southern Star is an amazing boat trip! I've done many, many boat trips on all the islands and this one takes the "lux" prize hands down. Snag a spot on the lounge behind the Captain and feel like royalty!

Having said that you will spend more time looking at the Na Pali if you leave from the north.

USA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Which Na Pali trip

I am looking into similar question. It appears that Captain Sundown is another alternative to Na Pali catamaran -- and both leave from the North. Looks like Captain Sundown is a longer trip than Na Pali Cat, and Sundown sails, partially, while Na Pali cat just motors. But Na Pali Cat is smaller so can venture into the caves, while Sundown can't do that because of its mast. So now I know the differences, or some of them anyway, but still can't decide... I guess it probably doesn't much matter - will likely have a good day either way.

5. Re: Help! Which Na Pali trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 15:19