We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

We'll be in Kauai in October of this year. I want to first of all say that I'm not crazy about the idea of using any of my time on Kauai sitting through a time share presentation. I can also tell you that the chance of me purchasing a time share is very, very, very minimal. The high pressure they put on you doesn't bother me and I do not have a problem saying "no" multiple times.

However, I've seen and heard of others getting some good activity discounts and freebies if they are willing to sit through a 90 minute presentation. What are your personal experiences with these time share presentations? Have you done this? If so, which company did you work with and what activity discounts did you recieve? If I was to do this, what are your recommendations?

Thanks

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

I am a sucker and own two timeshares in Kauai. We go every year and enjoy it so it is good for us but they are expensive with the yearly fee's associated with them. I did a Marriott and got a free Napali boat tour. I also have done the Hanalei Bay tour and got a free ATV tour in Poipu. We have also gotten a round of golf in Poipu, $100.00 credit at Hanalei Bay that we used in the restaurant.

I think they offer different activities so you have to ask. It has worked out well for us. We own at both of these resorts so they got us to buy also. I also have taken advantage of a timeshare travel package where you are offered 4 nights at the resort at a hugh discount. We have done this at the Kalapaki Marriott in Kauai, The Westin in Maui. Neither one gave us a hard sell so that was nice. We did not buy at either on these trips. You can play the timeshare game and get some great offers. Have fun and stick with your no thank you and you will be fine. Keep us posted on how it goes and what you get.

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

I would rather have someone pick my toenails out of my feet than waste 90 minutes of beach time sitting through those presentations. Usually the offer is buy one get one free of a helicopter or boat tour. Is that worth your time? If so, go for it. You often get a free muffin and coffee too. Whoo Hooo!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

It's your vacation, so you can spend your time any way that you want, but I agree with jebett that every 90+ minutes of my time in Hawaii is precious and I'm not going to waste it on a presentation that I have no interest in.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

We DO own a timeshare on Kauai - every time we visit we DO do a presentation with our home resort - There are all kinds of freebies - we always schedule ours for the first full day we are there EARLY in the morning - like 730 since we are up but worn out from the flight and usually just kick back on that first day. So in a nutshell it is worth it to us. We don't buy anymore, satisfied with one week a year and when they know you won't be buying they cut it real short (at least in our case)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

I'm with jebett.... we traveled to Kauai with friends of mine that loved getting all those freebies. They own a timeshare and I guess they were used to the routine. I thought it was acpmplete waste of time even with the discounts and 2 for1 coupons. Never again...

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,094 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

Okay.....tough decision , Jebett. I'm not sure what I would do if given a choice between a TS presentation or having my toenails removed. lol. That's kind of pushing it.

For anything less though I'd certainly waive the TS presentation. It's not worth my precious vacation time. I don't care what time of day or how long. I just won't do it.

I received one of those Marriott Maui deals a few years back when it was converting to timeshare. The fine print said nothing about a TS presentation being mandatory. After I confirmed it was not required, via a quick phone call, I made the reservation ( 6 nights plus car , super cheap). When I arrived I received a call about the presentation and quickly reminded them I was told it was not required. That ended that. They never pursued it and I enjoyed my 6 cheap nights on Maui very much.

7. Re: Kauai Time Share Discounts and Freebies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 16:16