We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Day 2

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Day 2

Day 2 was just shopping and getting supplies. I wanted to share some of the bargains I found at Wal-Mart. I dropped the family off at Kamalani Park at Lydgate Park while I headed back to Wal-Mart to pick up some supplies. We always check the condo before we decide what to get. I found some great bargains that I wanted to share:

2 smaller boogie boards for the kids at $11.97 each

2 youth snorkel sets (my youngest found the snorkel gear at the condo but it did not fit and he wanted to snorkel more this trip) at $14.88 each and they fit the kids perfectly!

Swim noddles at $2.00 each (bought 4)

Sun visors for me (mine broke in 1/2 in the suitcase) at $2.88 (no logo, just plain)

And the best find was Scott's flip flops! Most of the stores on the mainland have discontinued selling these and I've worn them for over 30 years. I have several pair but my 12 year old now wears a size 10. I was so pleased to find these for him at Wal-Mart. They are super comfy!

So after Wal-Mart and some grocery shopping at Big Save (we really should have shopped at Times or Safeway but the kids were super tired after climbing all over "maze park", that I dropped them off and went back to the Big Save in Koloa), we headed back to the pool AND the beach. We talked to several families that were having a great time on Kauai. Two families were leaving for other islands or home and we "inherited" several beers, peanut butter, crackers, oatmeal and a brand new full sized boogie board. I guess they wanted to make sure their stuff went to a good home!! :)

We stayed at the beach so long that we ran out of time to cook the fresh Ono we bought at Koloa Fish Market. So hubby and I walked down to Casa di Amici while the kids stayed at the condo to veg. Fabulous food but I think they were caught off-guard with all of the business. The place was packed full. So service was a bit slower than normal though they were trying very hard! We took pasta back to the kids and we all crashed early.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 04:47
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

Kamalani Playground is amazing - can't wait to spend more time there in the coming years.

I almost made the young woman who checked out our Alamo rental car cry when I showed her the one beer we had left over and asked if she could give it a good home - I think she had had a long day...

Enjoy the rest of your trip - thanks for letting all of us tag along!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
607 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

We were at Walmart yesterday morning too! Also hit Costco. Then we grilled ono from the Koloa Fish Market for dinner! Great minds clearly think alike =)

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,539 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

Aloha

Mahalo for the report

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

We ended up marinating our fish and had that tonight instead of last night. My husband likes to eat before 6:30 and was little upset that my 12 year old and I spent so much time at the beach.... oh well! We had the Ono tonight and it was excellent! Hope you liked Plantation Gardens and zipling today! We changed our reservations for PG to later in the week.

California
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

Sounds like you're having a great time! We missed Casa di Amici last year, but it's in our plans this year. The first time we ate there our waiter was Clyde--so funny and a great waiter. Wonder if he's still there. Are you gong to the Beach House this weekend?

Three of my grandkids and my DIL are headed for Kauai this morning--staying in Hanalei. Our son will join them Friday.

Looking forward to hearing more. Thank you for sharing!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,005 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

Enjoying hearing about everyone's fun times and bargains. As crazy as the idea of Wal-Mart makes me( my mother's family ran a small town dept. store for 3 generations) sometimes it just has the stuff you need at a great price.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

Thanks loving your reports so far. How was the food at Casa d Amici? That was always one of my favorites, loved the pork saltimbocca and the veal with blue cheese, yum! Have to get back there next trip.

Sounds like you and your family are having a lovely time and thanks so much for taking the time to post here.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
607 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

The fish and shrimp from Koloa Fish Market was DEELISH! Plantation Gardens turned out just so so ... I posted a Day 2/3 Trip Report with details ... beautiful place tho! =)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

Casa di Amici's food was excellent. The owner was our server and he was a bit frazzled with all of the tables and not enough help. I wonder if their other server called in sick???

We are heading to The Beach House on Saturday. Our friend will be working and we will sit in his section. We're going to Plantation Gardens on Thursday night. We've always had great meals there and we love the setting.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Day 2

How is Casa Di Amici? We've stayed at Hideaway Cove Villas twice but have never eaten there!