We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ABC News report on sunscreen

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
ABC News report on sunscreen

I posted this on the general Hawaii forum too. Make sure you read the Consumer Reports ratings too.

TA please don't delete as this is travel related - most of us travelling to Hawaii use sunscreen and should be well informed.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/

Thanks,

3Chihuahuas

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,356 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

We bought Aveno Baby "Natural Proiection, Mineral Block" for this trip. Active ingredients are Titanium Oxide and Zinc Oxide, not the dreaded Octocrylene and Oxybenzone.

California
Level Contributor
9,959 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

I just saw the same thing on NBC. There was a rather lengthy discussion about sunscreens here not too long ago, so, yes, I'd say it's relevant. BTW, I bought the Coppertone Water Babies that you recommended. It will be visiting Kauai in less than two weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,764 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

Skin cancer is very serious. My God Daughter just had a melanoma removed from excessive tanning. She is 24. Parents be especially careful of little ones. I wish we had these guidelines when I was growing up and used to put iodine in baby oil. Even in cloudy weather you can burn and burn bad!

Thanks for sharing this 3chis.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,356 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

This is one reason my kids where sun proof rash guards and board shorts and we limit their time in the sun. But the Aveno Baby" Natural Protection, Mineral Block" products are a good choice (pink top). Found these at CVS....

Edited: 15 June 2011, 03:40
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

22kauai - yes I remember that thread and yes, I recommended Water Babies (hanging my head in shame) - I never burned using it, even at Havasu, but the UVA stuff, who knew? I'll be switching to the cheap stuff - Equate Baby SPF 50 is Walmart's brand - $5.00 for 8oz.......

And the amount that is recommeded to use - Wow, I had no idea...I'm liable to ooze right out of the boat, lol

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 15 June 2011, 03:45
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,356 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

Just look for the "O" ingredients.... bad stuff. You want the Zinc Oxide stuff which protects the skin but does not absorb the chemicals into the skin. My kids have been going to the pool and beach with white streaks on their face! LOL!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

Avoid avobenzone, too (it's an environmental contaminant).

I was stupid and didn't bring our usual baby sunscreen (Earth's Best by JASON) thinking I could easily find the Aveeno mineral sunscreen at least - no dice! I ended up buying Ocean Potion SPF 50 at Nukumoi Surf Shop, which is formulated for sensitive skin but was still full of oxy- and avobenzone (hanging MY head in shame). I will never go anywhere without my EB again (and in CO we need to load up on sunscreen just to play in the backyard!). Yes, it costs a lot more than the store brands, but how can you put a price on peace of mind (and I think I'd like grandkids some day - eventually science WILL find a solid link between all these chemicals and human reproductive disorders).

22Kauai - did you buy the Coppertone Water Baby's Pure & Simple, not the pink bottle? That's the only one EWG gives a decent score to.

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/?search=coppertone+water+babies&brand_id=All&ptype=All&homesearchsubmit2=GO

California
Level Contributor
9,959 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

Hi blueflamingo--Yes, It's Coppertone Water Babies Pure and Simple, but it is in a pink bottle.?

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

Oh, it looked like an orangish bottle online (I haven't seen it in person). I guess if it's called Pure & Simple it must be that one.

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ABC News report on sunscreen

Most Americans suffer from a deficiency of Vitamin D, in part due to overuse of sunscreens. Moderate sun exposure is healthy and beneficial.