We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oki diner

murdock
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
oki diner

I was told by someone that winters in Kauai that the the Oki Diner either closed or was closed for remodel. which way is it????

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oki diner

It was closed, and Tiano's took it's place.

murdock
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: oki diner

Is Tiano's owned by Barbara Oki? Is Tiano's any good and what kind of cuisne is it?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oki diner

Nope, not owned by Oki. In fact, there's some animosity there. I've never tried it, but I understand they have Filipino foods as well as the usual diner fare.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oki diner

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Here is a local review of Tiano's Restaurant and Bakery - which is located in the old location of Oki Diner:

midweekkauai.com/2011/…

"pzp" - isn't Barbara Oki selling her coconut syrup and pancake mix out at the Anahola Farmer's Market? I haven't been out that way in ages, but seem to have read that here......

Malama Pono,

Janet

P.S. - I know that Barbara Oki's son opened another restaurant in Lihu'e that was featuring some of his mother's old favorites - but I'm darned if I can remember the name - seems to me that "kealohanui" spoke about it a month or so ago.....

Edited: 19 June 2011, 21:46
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oki diner

Barbara may still be selling at the Anahola market, but I haven't been over there in quite a while.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oki diner

Oki scions opened a restaurant over by Kiibo (one block off Rice x from Aloha furniture).

Ate there once. It was good but we haven't made an effort to go back so maybe not that memorable an experience.

4768 or some such (it's the address).

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: oki diner

Restaurant 2978 is likely the restaurant Dave referred to. It is located at 2978 Umi Street. The link below is for The Garden Island News article of November 2010 indicating that they severe the Oki pancakes:

thegardenisland.com/business/local/article_d…

PS: I have not eaten there.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,185 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oki diner

My most vivid memory of Oki Diner is from about 10 years ago -- watching the wait staff taking their break at a corner table -- eating MacDonald's Big Macs from very visible bags.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oki diner

Mine involves a serious failure in the hygiene dept throughout the restaurant at their old location. It was enough to ensure we never even tried the new location.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oki diner

Farewell to a truly GREAT place to eat!!!