We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal chef and tipping

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Personal chef and tipping

Getting ready for the big trip! I am surprising my family by having a personal chef making dinner for us for our first night. Is is appropriate to tip or would this be considered an insult? Thanks, as always, for your great advice, TA!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal chef and tipping

onesassymom hired a personal chef last Thursday night for a 40th birthday celebration. She just got home on Friday night but you might want to PM her and ask. I assume NOT since you are paying the chef directly?

Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal chef and tipping

Can I please ask where you locate a private chef? I would love to set something up like that for my husband and I.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal chef and tipping

Where are you staying? I know that Parrish arranged for the private chef for onesassymom. We are off to Poipu Beach but I will look it up when we return.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal chef and tipping

You *might* want to do this another night when you are not all tired from the flight. You wouldn't want to have anyone fall asleep in her soup. (Was that Goldy Hawn, some old movie?)

Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal chef and tipping

Martik,

Thanks so much. We are staying in a house on Anini Rd on the North Shore! Enjoy Poipu and feel free to message me anytime!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal chef and tipping

I'd be shocked if any private chef felt a tip was an insult. Quite the opposite

California
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal chef and tipping

Dandoon88--Since you're staying on the North Shore, check out www.kauaiexperience.com

California
Level Contributor
36,437 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal chef and tipping

I think a tip would be "expected"!

I have heard the owner of Mark's Place does private catering.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Personal chef and tipping

I've used a personal chef for dinner here in my home, so that I can enjoy the celebration. They do the shopping, prepare the food in your kitchen, serve and take away plates, and clean up the dishes. Tips here are between 15-20%

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
618 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Personal chef and tipping

I hired Chef Emerson Keahi with Island Catering at the recommendation of Parrish. He is a former restaurant owner who was born and raised in the islands. He worked as Executive Chef at the five star Princeville Hotel (now the St. Regis) and the Hanalei Bay Resort on the North Shore of Kauai. He and his wife showed up at 5pm to set up and we ate around 6:30pm on the lanai. They were very friendly, timely and respectful but not overly formal. They set the dinner table, had full use of the kitchen and bbq, served us the best meal we had on our vacation, then quietly cleaned up and were ready to depart by the time we were done with our desert. The tip was included in the price of the meal but I added to it since we were so pleased. I highly recommend him and the experience!