We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wait time to get car rental

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Wait time to get car rental

Me again!!! I was reading in one of the guidebooks last night that there can be a delay of 2 hours to get through the car rental process at the airport. This guidebook mentioned in particular one car rental agency and urged folks to avoid this agency. Is that true? We are planning to split our responsibilities at the airport: someone get the bags; others get the car. Would appreciate any words of wisdom/experience you have had regarding this!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wait time to get car rental

1) I don't know what agency you are referring to.

2) It took me no more than 15 minutes. I rent with alamo most of the time and go through their kiosk rather than deal with a desk agent.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,094 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wait time to get car rental

Probably was Alamo. They've had a real hit or miss reputation. Some people will fly right on through, no problems. Others may have an unnecessary wait. I've had both experiences over many years of using them. A few times I've had to wait for a car, any car, to be returned.

The more typical experience is somewhere in between the two above. I think Alamo plays it pretty close to the vest with little margin of car inventory.

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wait time to get car rental

Kiosk!!!!!

Easy, fast and also have one person go get the car while the other gets bags. I am a carry on girl, so I am there before the crowds. The only wait I have ever had was renting through Budget. Alamo has always been great. If you are arriving at the same time there's a bunch of other flights (like the 3 Alaska flights in the morning) hurry over and get in before the crowds.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wait time to get car rental

Thanks, everyone! Actually the guide book mentioned Alamo as the one to avoid. We are arriving late afternoon, on Hawaiin Air

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wait time to get car rental

We split up at baggage claim. I walked over to Alamo with my older son while my husband retrieved our luggage with my younger son. When I arrived (before the shuttle van), there was NO ONE in the terminal except about 9 agents waiting to check people in. It took me less time to get the car than it did for my husband to retrieve the luggage. He walked up a few minutes later with everything ready to load into the car. We landed around 11:15 a.m. and we were at our condo in Poipu by 12:20 p.m.

Last August, the line was out the door but I checked in via the kiosk and breezed past everyone waiting in line. June 2009 was similar to this year. No one in line and easy check in. We have used Alamo 3 years running with no issues and they've had the best rate.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wait time to get car rental

Alamo was always quick for us, except for one time when they had cancelled my resv - I had the paper work though, so they gave me an incredible deal to make up for the confusion.

We always use Alamo. Great service as well as bottom line.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wait time to get car rental

Ended up with Avis this year through Priceline NYOP. Out the door with my car in less than 15 minutes. By that time, my wife had the luggage and we were on our way.

8. Re: Wait time to get car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 22:19