We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reservations for dinner

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
reservations for dinner

I have been to Maui several times, but this is our first time to Kauai. We tend to make several reservations ahead of time to special places, but then decide the rest as we go along depending what we feel like. I am seeing many posts that people have their entire vacation planned with reservations for all days before they arrive. Is this necessary in Kauai? We have reservations for Kauai Grill, Beach House and Plantation Gardens. Any others necessary?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reservations for dinner

"I am seeing many posts that people have their entire vacation planned with reservations for all days before they arrive. Is this necessary in Kauai? We have reservations for Kauai Grill, Beach House and Plantation Gardens. Any others necessary?"

You've covered the main places. We make most of our reservations ahead of time because we want certain times for sunset or certain tables for our Anniversary. You didn't say if you are staying north or south shore and how far you are willing to drive each night. We even make reservations our first night at Keioki's because we have no desire to wait for an hour or so outside.

What other restaurants did you have in mind?

If you have kids you might dine earlier and those spots would be available once you get there. At Tomkats Grille in Koloa, we walked right in with our familyfor dinner.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reservations for dinner

When are you going? During the summer with more tourists, it's probably better to reserve before you arrive but we usually go in September or October and have been able to make reservations a day or so before we want to go.

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reservations for dinner

Those are the restaurants that fill up with reservations the fatest. You should be fine at the other restaurants. You can always call in the afternoon for a place like Josselins and if you can't get in call Merrimans or Keokis. Sometimes we like to wing certain days because we have chosen to drive South and we don't know where we will end up or what time we will be hungry. I plan only those days where I know I will be back at my condo and have relaxed on the lanai for bit.

I have two words for you when you to go Kuaui Grill...mashed potatoes!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reservations for dinner

Is the crunch for reservations based on folks wanting to experience the sunset at dinner? That will not be an issue for us and we really would like to eat later. Do reservations for the "hot spots" in Kauai (primarily Poipu area) a must do ahead of time if we prefer eating dinner later?

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reservations for dinner

You could be fine walking into a restaurant "late" but remember many places do not stay open very late. I have been to BarAcuda and at 9 its last call! Kauai shuts down early.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reservations for dinner

"Late" for us would be 8:00. We chose Kauai specifically for the "no late night/club/etc." reputation!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reservations for dinner

We walked into Plantation Gardens and were seated immediately but it was a Monday. We called Josselins same day and got reservations. BTW, it was good but nothing to write home about. PG was our favorite meal besides Brenneke's. Brenneke's was so convenient and the food and service was awesome. Service was great everywhere we went. We ran into our waitress from PG in Kapa'a. She remembered us and was very friendly. I would recommend reservations for later in the week but it seems Mon-Wed are pretty open. Double recommend PG again. It's a beautiful place and the food and service were impeccable. Same prices as BH only better. They even gave me the recipe for their poke which was to die for.

8. Re: reservations for dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 20:16