We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car gps

new york
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
rental car gps

i was planning to get a gps for my rental during our stay in kauai so that we can explore the whole island with ease. we would also get a map, but usually like the gps for extra confidence and so that i have to stop, pull over to check the map, etc. two questions: 1) will the gps even work well in kauai? not sure what the signal will be like. 2) is the island so small and with simple roads that a gps is just silly? i'm happy to hold on that extra money if it's completely unnecessary.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car gps

Aloha,

I really dont think I would spend the money for a gps.

A good map and your guide book should be all that you need.

Just one move thing that someone might covet in your rental.

Have a nice time.

Aloha

Canada
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car gps

We are frequent travellers to the islands of Hawaii. The roads are easy to navigate and you would be totally fine without a GPS.

Having said that...I certainly would not pay an extra fee for a unit to be included with the rental car..

We own our own Tom Tom model that we take wherever we go. It works beautifully on all of the Hawaiian Islands. One feature of the Tom Tom is the search function for nearby POI's (Restaurants etc)...for those times when you want to grab a bite and aren't too sure what is closeby.

The handheld units have really come down in price I notice of late...might equal out to what you would end up paying as an additional fee. many are under $200

We do not leave the unit in the vehicle.

Edited: 02 July 2011, 19:59
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car gps

$1/day -- sure.

$12/day -- no way.

Look at a yahoo or google map. There just aren't that many roads.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car gps

GPS systems get their signal from a satellite. Why would there be more of a signal issue on Kauai then anywhere else?

Regardless, it's pretty easy to get around the island with minimal issues. The only time you might need one is driving at night. If you're from a major metropolitan area you may not be used to how dark it gets. Otherwise I think it would be a waste of money. Still, if it's going to relieve some stress level you don't need on vacation, go ahead and get one. You're the only one who can decide that for you.

new york
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car gps

good point -- i guess i don't mean a signal issue, but more about strange results you sometimes get when in less populated areas (e.g., gps can be useless when traveling in some national parks, etc.).

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car gps

To me, gps would be for entertainment value only! The sounds of those voices trying to pronounce Hawaiian names is just too funny!.....and pretty darn usless, too! How do I know? Did it once, many moons ago!

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car gps

I have company staying with me from Denmark and they got a GPS with their rental and it cost them $200.00. I saw them for sale at Cost Co for $150.00 to buy. I have one and we travel a lot and always take it with us. It is easy to use and is small so not too much to lug around. We bought one off the internet and it came with all of the maps of Europe and the U.S.A. It just makes for easy driving any where that is new to you. The one I bought is a Magellon and you can also use it for walking directions, translator, and more. Good luck, it is easy to drive in Kauai though because there are not so many roads.

8. Re: rental car gps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:18