We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in the Hanalei River

Roseville...
4 posts
Save Topic
Fishing in the Hanalei River

I'm staying near the beach in Hanalei in a couple of weeks. My ten and seven year old's have become fishing nuts of late and are insistent that we bring some poles and try to catch some fish. I've seen lots of info about fishing off the pier but I was curious if anything can be caught out of the Hanalei River. Even perch size fish would be fun for them and we are strictly catch and release. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
727 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

From a Google search:

hanaleiwatershedhui.org/newsec/…204-04.pdf

"The river is a popular venue for recreational paddling, kayaking, fishing (for both estuarine and endemic freshwater ‘o’opu fish), crabbing, and prawning. Local families regularly supplement their diet with species caught in the river and bay. For the lower income population, this is a vital resource."

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

Defn. catch and release. That river can be filthy at times.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

Although none is required for marine (ocean) fishing or gathering...

Any person over the age of nine is required to have a "Freshwater Game Fishing License" to fish or gather any game from Hawaii's streams and reservoirs.

Visitors can buy 7 and 30 day permits, for $10 and $20, respectively, plus a $1 convenience fee.

you can get them on-line with a credit card, or at a few locations on the island.

See:

https:/…fresh_main_page.cgi

hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulations_special_prov…

Edited: 06 July 2011, 21:14
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,385 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

You'll need freshwater fishing licenses too. Even the 10 yo.

hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/licenses_permits.html

3Chihuahuas

Roseville...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

Gotcha. Only 4 bucks for a license for my oldest; so I went ahead and grabbed her one. Maybe we'll catch something interesting.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,539 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

Aloha,

White bread works pretty good. Take a pinch, make a ball.

Kauai also has peacock bass. You would have to hire a charter.

Kids might like some nite fishing in the ocean. Calamari is a good bait, remove the skin, the head and cut into 1/2 inch strips with a point.

Shrimp is also good

Hope you folks have a great time

Aloha

Danville, California
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

Did you go yet?Did you catch anything? Doing the same thing 7-25 with my same age boys, trying to research the fishing. They are fanatics too. Thanks for the license tips

Danville, California
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

Did you go yet?Did you catch anything? Doing the same thing 7-25 with my same age boys, trying to research the fishing. They are fanatics too. Thanks for the license tips

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

We have kayaked the hanalei river many times, and have seen the stand up paddle boarders, other kaykers, and once in a while a small out board , but seldom.

I am kind of with Dave on being concerned about eating any fish out of the river....but that is up to you.

Denny

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing in the Hanalei River

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You tend to see folks along the banks of the Hanalei River fishing - and as far as I'm aware, the main thing they are catching is tilapia.

As to whether you want to eat it or not.....again....up to you.

Malama Pono,

Janet