We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline prices from LAX

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Airline prices from LAX

We're headed to Kauai next June (I know I'm early, but really looking forward to it). I think last trip we booked through Pleasant Hawaiian in Jan. for a summer trip. Prices were close to those we found online. I'd like to look a little closer this trip. What is a good price from LAX? And, when should we book? I'm not one to wait til the last minute. I'd ather get it done so we don't have to worry about it. There will be 6 of us flying if that matters. I've signed up for Aiffare Watchdog by the recommendation of someone here - thanks - Robert.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline prices from LAX

For us, anthing under $450.00 (inc taxes, fees) is a good price. We've done non-stops to LIH from LAX and a couple of times LAX-HNL-LIH, but that was for travel in late Aug, or Sept or early Oct. June is high season. I like to book early too, but the last couple of years, I had to wait until the trip was 3-4 months away before fares dropped enough for us to buy.

3Chihuahuas

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline prices from LAX

If you get near $500 you're doing pretty good. We've had trouble getting much under that except with odd days/times/seasons.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
376 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline prices from LAX

We usually get anywhere between $450.00-$500.00 but the last year prices have gone up for us. Our last trip was 2010 March and it was around $500.00pp. This year we are going to Kauai for Christmas and the prices were really high. They were at $1800.00pp. When it dropped to $850.00pp we booked on Orbitz.com. The say they will refund you the difference if the price drops. It did for a few day to $700.00pp. and they said that someone has to buy the exact same ticket as us. the price has gone up to $800.00 and I still have not been notified of a refund? I will let you know if I get one or not. I guess you have to trust Orbitz that they will be honest. We will see? I always buy my tickets early for airplane travel. I like to fly direct with out any stops or layovers. Good luck.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline prices from LAX

Hopefully you will find a fare around $600 for summer. When the six of us fly in the summer, it's usually more than that from LAX. We find price drop a little after January for the summer months. If you flew in May, you'd get a better fare.

Good Luck!

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline prices from LAX

My wife and I are teachers so June is the earliest we can do. Thanks for all the ideas. I guess if I find something under about $600 for June I'll grab it up. Any other sites to watch for low airfare? - thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline prices from LAX

One in our family of six, is a student, and one a teacher, so I know about waiting until school is out, and have to work around those dates and summer prices.

More than once we've used AAA/Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays for a package deal. Either the flight and car rental or flight/condo/hotel/car can come out cheaper that way. I've priced them out alone or together and have gotten some decent fares. You are smart to be watching everything.

As you said, grab anything around $600 from LAX in summer...and never look back. As Teachers, you deserve a nice vacation!

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline prices from LAX

Thanks CAnative. We already have a house booked, so now it's just air and car. You're right about summer prices, but having the time off is worth it and then some. I'll keep my eyes open for good rates in the future.

8. Re: Airline prices from LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:19