We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many days

australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
how many days

We are not sure how many day to allow on kauai. We are 2 adults and 2 teenagers

NE PA
Level Contributor
972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many days

365 would be about right for me! Actually..... anything less than a full week would leave you with many beaches and things left to do on your next trip. Depending on your activities and interests I'd do at least a week if possible.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many days

I was there for only 3 or 4 nights. While I would have loved to have stayed longer, I did everything I wanted to do. Dont confuse that with doing everything there is to do though because I didnt even come close to that. A full week should be fine.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many days

2 weeks wouldn't be enough for me. Although I met another at the airport that 6 days was too long for him and his family. They were from California and were used to the "fastlane" with 'sensory overload" (their words..or something like them anyway). They thought it was too slow for them. Which is understandable for some people it wouldn't be the "hot clubbing vacation spot".

That's ok. More for me!!

NE PA
Level Contributor
972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many days

Chances are you'll get hooked like the rest of us here. Here's how it has worked for us. Our first trip in November of 2003 was 10 days. In April of 2005 we went for 15 days. This coming June 2006 we're planning 18 days. At this rate I may be up to my original quote of 365 before I know it! Once the island grabs hold of you you'll never be the same. I don't know which is worse, the constant daydreaming while staring at my Kauai screensaver pictures or how people at work tend to avoid asking me how my vacation was.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how many days

dfarr - you have me cracking up! That is why it's fun to visit this forum - a somewhat experience of Kauai. :) Yes, my first trip to Kauai was for 16 days, and I remember overhearing someone say they were there for 5 days - I just could not imagine. We weren't ready to leave even after 16 days. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how many days

I would say the minimum for really enjoying a good portion of Kauai would be 9 nights. That would be one full week with a weekend head start. Don't forget two days are basically taken up by the traveling.

That length of time allows you to see many of the sights and enjoy some fun time. Two weeks is better, but I'd say 9 nights is the minimum.

We go for a month every summer and we still leave without doing everything we wanted to do. It's easy to get in the habit of just lazing a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how many days

I'll tell ya, I was there for only 4 days. And it was enough to know that I want to go back.

My advise for a shorter 4-5 day trip would be to stick to one area general area. (East & North side could do an easy day trip to one or the other. South & West side same, but East to west is wasting time in a car..)

Have a couple things that you know you want to do and have some ideas but leave it open. With Teenagers, the ATV Kipu Ranch tour. Even if they aren't old enough to drive they have the 2 & 4 seater. Maybe kayaking the river tours. Depending on the time of year snorkeling.

Again pick 2or 3 and play the rest by ear when you get there. If you can't get into one thing, pick another...

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many days

Four words for you: As many as possible.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how many days

A couple of years ago we had 9 days on Kaua'i, and I didn't want to leave even for the Merrie Monarch Festival.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how many days

In my experience, 8 days and 7 nights was WAYYYYYYYYYY TOO SHORT! We had fun everyday! But had to take half a day to rest up from all the fun. Never a dull moment and I am busy saving for my next trip ASAP for AT LEAST 14 days so I can really enjoy as much as I can (afford). ;-)

Aloha :-)

Dan