We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Trip report..Arrival!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Live Trip report..Arrival!

Was a long day on airplanes from MN...our original flight was changed so we had to go through LAX and have a 3 hour layover there. My kids did awesome though (ages 8 and 10)

Kauai has not disappointed me from the moment I saw it landing. So beautiful!

My FIL and I shuttled to get our vehicle from National and then went to pick everyone and luggage back up...worked great...did have to pack 6 of us with luggage in tightly!!! Had to go back to car rental quick to have everyone sign that may drive.

Did worry about the couple who drank WAY too much on the plane and got in a rental and drove away. What a way to start your vacation..the lady had a hangover already getting off the plane after falling asleep the last hour. The flight attendant finally cut them off, but I'd say a little to late. I don't think the guy drank as much as her.

Beautiful drive up to the St. Regis. (for 6 nights then to Hyatt). They were very welcoming...gave my kids stuffed animal monk seals and joked around with them. Knew we were tired and hungry and got us right in to eat at the Makana Terrace. Absolutely gorgeous sunset as we were eating. Drew, our server, was wonderful with the kids again and also guessed correctly we weren't in the mood for the type of food on the menu and offered us several selections not on the menu. 3 of us had a club sandwich and it was very good.

Slept with the window open to listen to the waves and rain...woke to a beautiful moon shining in at one point. We are all up and ready for breakfast, but need to wait for the restaurant to open! Heard some roosters in the distance.

Very impressed with the beauty of the island and the service at the Regis so far. Today taking it easy getting our clocks in sync here. So excited for the rest of our trip! Don't think I will want to leave .

Mentioned in this post
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
2,971 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Makana Terrace
Makana Terrace
758 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

Aloha! So glad you are there! You will very much enjoy the beautiful St. Regis.

So glad to read that Drew is still there! He is our very favorite server there. Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
2,971 Reviews
Kauai, HI
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
652 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

So jealous you "slept with the window open to listen to the waves and rain" ... and believe it or not, jealous of the roosters too! Soak it all up and enjoy every moment! Looking forward to more details of your trip report ....

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

It's funny how the airplane problems fade once you get to Kauai. Looking forward to more reports. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
San Clemente...
Level Contributor
389 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

How fun for you and your family. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your stay so far. It is so Beautiful! I look forward to reading your next post.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

Thanks for taking the time to write a TR.

We stayed there when it was still the Princeville and I have a very similar memory of a full moon over the ocean after a lovely rainfall with the light of the moon reflecting off the water... ahhhh!

That view (and the one of the waterfalls the next morning) will always remain in my memory as some of the most beautiful views I've ever seen.

Looking forward to your next report!

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

Glad you are enjoying your trip so far. Can I ask what vehicle you rented to fit 6 passengers and luggage in? I am traveling to Kauai and Maui next year with 6 adults (including myself) and was wondering if a minivan is the only option. Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

You can rent a full sized SUV. We rented a Yukon XL a few years back from Hertz when we had extra people. It's the same car I drive at home and it seats 8 with plenty of luggage space in the back.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

Great start to your trip report. Sorry you had a 3 hr lay over at LAX, but you can always be a bit forgiving if you are on your way to a great vacation.

We travel with 5 adults and 1 child, so I know getting everyone packed up and in the vehicle takes a little planning, and we travel light. A couple of us have our backpack on our lap or at our feet for the drive to the hotel. After that it's a breeze to drive around.

How are you doing the rooms, do you have connecting rooms at SR or a suite for all of you? Do you have the patio rooms or up higher in the resort?

Look forward to hearing your daily reports, if we are so lucky.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live Trip report..Arrival!

Aloha...keep meaning to post, but sooo exhausted at night! Loving every minute of Kauai.

First to answer a couple questions...the car we tried to get was a bigger SUV but they were out. We got a Traverse in the 7-passenger category which is the exact vehicle we drive at home...It totally works...a little tight on the way to airport but fabulous for us all driving around together.

We are in connecting rooms on 4th floor...great view, plenty of space, and we are really only in the rooms to shower and sleep. No balcony..but huge windows you can throw open with a cushioned sitting bench...sleep with windows open every night.

We have eaten at the Makana Terrace breakfast buffet every morning. Great selections to make everyone happy. Love having my first view every morning of the beautiful mountains, waterfalls, rainbows and ocean! So much to look at. Breakfast is a must..especially with my kids to get them off to a good start!

7/13 we spent the whole day at the SR pool and beach. Wanted to let our bodies adjust to the time change and just enjoy the place. Kids as well as adults enjoyed the pool...not too busy and very relaxing. We brought our new snorkel gear into the pool to test in out (tired of renting masks that don't quite fit right). Everything worked great and kids practiced even diving down under the water. We also went out and snorkeled out from the beach in front of the SR. The water was a bit cloudy, but the kids were excited to see fish! Ate dinner at the Kauai Grill- (wanted to start our vacation out right :) ) Food was very good as well as service. Tried the mashed potatoes since I've heard so much about them...WOW...think I gained a few pounds. Bed EARLY!

7/14 Woke to sound of rain and waves..and a few roosters :) We did a Kauai Photo Tour of the east and north parts of the island. FABULOUS and I totally recommend it to someone new to the island. We had Levi as our guide (Hi Levi if you see this :) ) He has been here his whole life and it is great to hear his perspective and get a bit of his knowledge. Saw fabulous, beautiful places that we would not have seen on our own being first time visitors. Even the kids liked it and learned a lot. They especially liked being able to jup in and swim a bit. Stopped at Hanalei Taro and Juice Co (small roadside eatery). We loved the BBQ Pork sandwich. YUM! Ate at the Tavern at the Prince golf course. That was very good also. Think I was asleep before 8pm.

7/15 In-laws golfed at the Makai Golf course while we and the kids snorkeled at Tunnels. I had contacted Mike Rodger from Kauai Island Experiences to have someone guide us on the snorkeling. We wanted to be extra cautious with the kids. Chris met us and took us out along the reef. Yes some of the inside coral is damaged, but still a lot of beautiful, big fish. The kids loved it. My previously "nervous" almost 9 yr old daughter was diving down deeper after than any of us. Saw many fish, a couple different kinds of eels and a couple turtles. We now feel very comfortable taking the kids out on our own at Tunnels and think we will return there on Sunday when we have a free day.

We spent a little time at the pool this afternoon, are now showering, and doing a quick dinner here at Makana Terrace again. We didn't have any reservations today and are too hungry and tired to go wait anywhere. Tomorrow my husband and I will be golfing and the in-laws are going to be with the kids at the pool.

We are totally in love with this beautiful island!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai Photo Tours
Kauai Photo Tours
964 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Makana Terrace
Makana Terrace
758 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai Grill
Kauai Grill
778 Reviews