We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in South Shore - what would you do?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One day in South Shore - what would you do?

We'll be staying in the Princeville area for six nights at end of Sept through early October for our Honeymoon. Yay! I think we'll try to do a day trip to the South Shore on one of the days. Looking for ideas for a fabulous day trip. If you had just one day to spend in the South Shore, what would you do? I'd love to hear ideas for activities as well as restaurants. Thanks in advance!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

snorkel Lawai Beach / drive a couple minutes to spouting horn and check out the tent vendors , as well.

walk thru Old Kola Town Galleries and Shops or Kukui'ula Shopping Village where you can treat yourself to some decandace at LAPPERT's Ice creame parlor.

walk along Maha'ulepu Beach, from Gillens to Kauailoa and maybe a bit beyond. No resorts, botiques, swimming pools, just pristine beauty.

Poipu: Have a grilled on the spot hamburger or other favorite at the Tiki Bar at the Marriot Waiohai, outdoors overlooking the beach. Along with a cold adult beverage. Talk story and enjoy the view.

Mix and match what ever feels good to you.

Denny

Edited: 26 July 2011, 20:09
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park are not to be missed!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

I would definitely go further than just south and go to Waimea Canyon. You can stop on the way back at Spouting Horn. If you wanted an upscale dinner, then I would go to The Beach House restaurant (make reservations well in advance for a sunset dinner). If you wanted something a bit more casual since you'll be out all day, then go to Keoki's Paradise. It's casual and good food.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

Waimea Canyon. Not to be missed!

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,844 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park, hands down.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,118 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

Waimea Canyon. If it's lunch time when you get back down to the town, try The Shrimp Shack. You could make a short stop at the coffee plantation. Spouting Horn is also worth a short stop. You should be able to snorkel Lawai Beach and change back into street clothes in the bathrooms there. Dinner at Keoki's would be easy; make a reservation.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

Tell us more about what activities you like to do... Are you active people who like to snorkel and hike? Then I'd say make the drive to Waimea (must leave super early to miss rush hour traffic in Kapa'a), stopping at Kalaheo Cafe for breakfast, hike around for a few hours, then head to Lawai or Poipu beach for snorkeling, with a stop at the shrimp truck or Puka Dog for lunch. You'll probably feel too grungy for a nice dinner at Beach House, Roy's or Plantation Gardens, but Keoki's Paradise or Brennecke's Beach Broiler would take you as you are. Be careful with the adult beverages since you have a long drive ahead of you on dark country roads.

If your preferred activities are more low-key (touring, shopping, fine dining), I'd say skip Waimea Canyon (particularly if you're planning to do a helicopter tour) and just stick to the Poipu/Koloa area. If you're spa people, I'd head to the Anara Spa at the Hyatt, then have lunch there. Check out Maha'ulepu as Denny mentioned, then head to Kukui'ula for Lappert's and some shopping (though I wasn't too impressed with the stores - we have Tommy Bahamas here in Denver...). Stop at Spouting Horn, then head to the Beach House for your sunset dinner reservation.

OR you could tour Kauai Coffee Co. and the National Tropical Botanic Garden (I liked the self-guided tour of McBryde but most TA'ers prefer Allerton).

Lots of choices...not sure I helped!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

You're on the island 6 nights... Why only one day in the south?

It’s a teeny-tiny island, really, it is. You can do more than one day. You should definitely do 1 day in the west, which would be Waimea Canyon. It is a wonder to behold, insanely beautiful. And also do a day in the south to see Poipu Beach, the tree tunnel, numerous sights.

When we stay in the North Shore we drive to the south sometimes just for lunch. It is not that far, it would be a shame to limit your drive to one day. Just my 2 cents...

Check out Kailua Bred’s trip report to see how he got around the island. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k46773…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

Agree with Scorchestra. If you still want to make it one day only then get a super early start. Hit the road at dawn. Head to the canyon but have breakfast in Kalaheo at Kalaheo Cafe & Coffee Co. After oooing and aaahhhiiing at the canyon you could head to Polihale Beach. Or, skip Polihale and head into Poipu and check out what Denny has listed.

Personally, I think it requires 2 days. One day for the canyon and Polihale. Another day or at least half a day for everything else.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in South Shore - what would you do?

Thank you all for the replies! We had heard that driving from North to South would be a pain (lots of traffic, resulting in an 1+ hour drive). That's why we thought we'd just spend one day down south.

I'm really happy to hear that we can make a day trip out of activities in the South. We're both pretty active (regular runners) so I think hiking in Waimea sounds like a great plan. I've never snorkeled before, but I'm pretty sure that I will like that.... Was just hoping to hear sights that could not be missed.

Everyone says "leave early to avoid traffic"...can someone advise as to a good time to leave North Shore?

Probably, we'd like to start the day at Waimei Canyon, and then finish the night watching the sunset at a nice spot and then drive back North.

Thanks you guys!