We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

The recent posts about snakes and spiders have me wondering what types of little creatures I might be meeting when we stay at the Kiahuna Plantation in November. Spiders? Geckos? I live in the desert in so CA on a dry bed creek. we have lizards, snakes, spiders, rats, millipedes, slugs, coyotes and more. I am not fond of any of them. I know what to expect though in terms of when I might see them and how to avoid them. Just want to be prepared. I never leave my door open for prolonged periods of tine as we found a snake once near the front door and a couple of lizards in the house. Is it recommended to try to keep your doors closed there too? Thanks!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

No snakes here. You'll undoubtedly see geckos and maybe anoles (chameleons). It's possible you'll run into a centipede, but unlikely, in my experience, and probably not indoors. You may well see some of our large, flying roaches, but they're pretty harmless and readily succumb to being whapped with a slippa. (Flip flop.) Outside you may encounter banana spiders (harmless) and crab spiders (they'll bite but are easily avoided).

You can try to keep geckos out by keeping your doors closed, but the little guys seem to slip in anyway.

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

I love geckos and you will for sure see tons of them. They are your friend. Every tropical place has critters. The worst ones are the ones that wake you up at 5am and I am not talking about your husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Aah, Jebett speaks of those wonderful chickens- the Kauai alarm clock.

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

I love geckos too; for some reason we didn't see as many at KP this year as usual. Didn't see any unwanted critters, and you won't hear the roosters there either--other birds, yes, but not the roosters.

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Stayed at Kiahuna for 2 days at the end of May. We didn't see any critters except for one gecko (outside). We saw a couple of spiders, giant snails and waaay more geckos at the rental cottage in Anahola. These critters were outside...only one teeny gecko inside the cottage. Actually, we didn't even see many feral cats either. Saw less than when we were there 4 years ago.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Kiahuna Plantation is not in a "jungly" environment at all. It's a well-maintained and manicured kind of place and I'm sure managment has frequent pest control. I don't think you'll find much other than geckos and roosters.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Giant snails?!!! You all will laugh but I have serious snail/slug phobia. I know you said these were at another location but do they have these all over Kauai? If so, are they just in the grass? I know IRS weird but I gotta know! So glad I asked this question.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Kiddo! Your accomodations are sprayed and well maintained! Just be prepared to encounter a gecko or two elsewhere. They are very, very cute and take care of some of your other fears!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The snails we have here can be ginormous! Truly, when we first moved here and I saw a snail shell, I thought it was some type of large sea creature -but it is some type of African snail that was brought here for some reason and now they are all over. Obviously completely harmless!

A lot of the resorts spray and do things that I'm not crazy about to keep down the gecko and anole population - since I love these critters and they do much to keep down the skeeter and other small bug population - I think it is a shame when this happens. But having been at the end of phone calls for 5 years with guests frantically screaming at 3am saying there was a lizard in their room - and having to dispatch some poor housekeeper to get it out (or kill it more likely) - it is a fact of life here that a lot of visitors don't seem to understand.

Geckos and anole are absolutely harmless and are considered good luck - if I didn't hear their "chirping" at night in and outside my home at night, I'd certainly miss them! And gecko poop? Easy to clean up - no worries!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Kiahuna Plantation "critters" to be worried about?

Actually, Janet, it crossed my mind several times that we weren't seeing as many geckos this trip and also none ot the tiny ants that we usually get in the kitchen. I wonder how strong the spray is and how safe it is for us to stay there.?