We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

Indy
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

like a better fit. More activities for the non beach people in the group, plus nice beach and nice condos [Kiahuna Plantation] .

if we stay North, Hanalei bay looks better than Anini. Where is recommended there?

Thanks.

Trish

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

You need to look at private homes on Hanalei Bay or an Anini. No condos except up in P-ville and way out in Haena at Hanalei Colony, which despite the name, is not that near to Hanalei.

if you have a headcount and budget idea, people can help you more with specifics. And other likes/dislikes helps too. Otherwise folks are just guessing.

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

Poipu is terrific and if it seems like a good fit then concentrate your research there and take day trips for snorkeling and other activities to the North Shore. Kihauna is an excellent choice for accommodations. Beautiful grounds, nice beach. Good option.

If you are thinking of staying on the North side and are asking if Hanalei or Anini are better, I would say I like Hanalei better. The housing options are homes. The bay is calm and just beautiful with the red dirt mountains peaking out. Ahh!

I like Anini but its a bit more remote. If you rent a house in Hanalei you can walk to town.

There is a ton of things to do on the North side if you have non beachy people in your group. It depends on what they like to do. The North is more about hiking, snorkeling, kayaking etc. They have garden tours and boat tours. Of course you can do that anywhere. The Poipu area does have more restaurant and shopping options if that matters. Its lovely there. Friends of mine are on the North Shore and called me for a restaurant suggestion last night in Poipu and I recommended Josselin's. She emailed this morning and said A+ and the ahi roll was the best she's ever had. They loved that restaurant. I wish they had one on the North Shore so you don't have to travel so far!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

We stayed in Poipu this last June. Loooooooved the area and never made it to the North Shore. We will go back and venture up when we stay longer next time. Perhaps the South Shore isn't a lush as the North Shore but the area is tropical beautiful, the island is small and the pace is slow. We rented a private home and enjoyed time at Poipu Shopping Village, Kukui'ula Village, Spouting Horn, The Grand Hyatt, ziplining with Outfitters and of course, the sand & ocean! We relaxed on the beach a lot, kicked up our flip flops up and adjusted to island time. Best. Trip. Ever.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

This is generally a religious type of discussion with both sides fairly entrenched. Personally, I strongly prefer the North Shore at that time of the year. Gorgeous .... everything you think of is available to you when you think of a lush tropical island. True, it has less restaurants, but it has a laid back vibe (even at nearly all of the restaurants) that is hard to not like and the beaches and views are gorgeous. I personally think the Hanalei area or the Anini area would be fine, but so would the Puu Poa condos in Princeville. You get very nice condos there with the same views as the St Regis and you are only a 5 minute walk (down an incline mind you) down to a beautiful beach (Hideaway beach) and you are centrally located near everything on the North Shore. Good luck.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

We too love Poipu and this year it is extremely lush and beautiful on the south shore (a lot more rain in the winter and spring). We have stayed at Nihi Kai the last two summers and we really like this complex. It has very nice gardens, a great pool that is heated and convienently located and close to Brennecke's and Poipu Beach Park. My kids are older now and prefer the waves of Brennecke's (they grew up going to Baby's Beach). I also like the price point of the units at Nihi Kai. We were able to get a fabulous 2 bedroom / 2 bath ocean view condo for about $200/night. The views were amazing and it was close to the beach.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/nihi-kai-villa…

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

Whether you end up on the North or South shore, you will be a very happy Kauai traveler. One really cannot go wrong choosing either. Probably not helping you here much.. ;)

Indy
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

we are traveling with my folks who will be early 70s. Love people watching, restaurants, window shopping....I was afraid they wouldn't have anything to do up North. I suppose if we're at a nice place they could hang there....

thanks.

Trish

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

"people watching, restaurants, window shopping...."

The north shore wins out for people watching , lol. Just ask Jebett. She's always on the lookout for Pierce Brosnan. But the restaurants and window shopping would tell me Poipu for your folks.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 20:14
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

How long are you going for? I can't remember your original post. Perhaps you could split your stay and experience both sides - they all have a different "flavor" that appeals to different people. Maybe 10 day trip - 5 on each side?? :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June/July visit...most rec. North shore...but Poipu looks

I think your folks would prefer the south shore - we stayed in Poipu with my dad and stepmom and they loved being able to walk along the beach to the Hyatt or over to Poipu beach and just take it easy. On our last trip with my in-laws we stayed in Princeville and they were in the car every day driving to see and do stuff (of course, they are also the kind of people who can't just sit and take it easy, LOL).

I am a South Shore devotee, and can say that with certainty now that I've stayed on the North Shore. I feel like there's both more and less to do near Poipu - more if you want to shop, tour, dine in a relatively concentrated area, and less if you just want an easy stroll to the beach...

Oh, and ATL's "laid back kind of vibe" on the North Shore? Borderline neglectful if you ask me... if I'm spending that much money on a meal (I'm talking to you, BOUCHONS), I'd better have at least decent service. JMHO!