We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
800 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

I've been reading and reading and reading the forums and b/c everyone does such a good job giving out information, I'm even more overwhelmed than before I started. :)

We are planning to travel to Kauai Oct 8th - 15th. We are 2 adults that love adventure, however some recent feet and leg surgeries are going to keep us much more grounded this vaca. I can walk, but long distances are out. Driving to most sites will be necessary. With that in mind, we will likely spend our days driving to the various beaches, waterfalls, and look out points. We are divers and will do that at least one day. We enjoy having our own condo so we can make breakfast and lunch ourselves and then out for dinner. We like nice dinners, but also like the more off-the-beaten path places to eat . Definitely enjoy live music and drinks on the beach (does this exsist in Kauai?) With all this in mind can you lead me to an area to stay and/or where to look for condos (I know and have used vrbo).

thanks

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
800 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

opps..forgot to mention budget. We can do around $250/night.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

There are a number of very nice restuarants in Poipu on the south shore, including some that have oceanfront bars. Poipu is a resorty-type area with lots of condos within your price range. If you are having walking issues, Kuhio Shores might be a good bet, since it has an elevator (not that common on Kauai) and all the units have fabulous oceanviews and the Beachhouse restaurant is right next door (waterfront). Scenery wise you can't beat the north shore. Princeville has tons of condos - many with spectacular elevated views (It is located up on cliffs). Why don't you take a look at some of the condos in these locations. Forum members can answer questions you might have.

I should add there are also nice place to stay on the east side which is a little more commercial, but has lots of all kinds of eating establishments. The Waipouli Beach Resort is probably the high end there. Lae Nani is another nice, more island-style complex.

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

As I always do, i recommend the Lae Nani, we stay in this unit... kauaiproperties.com/vacation-rentals/Lae-Nan…

love the location and the grounds.

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

I'll be on the North Shore at that time, so look for a trip advisor party.

Start with this site:

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Kimocat, I like your new avatar!

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

I have a condo booked at sealodge sept9 thru 15 nice location great pricing, make sure you check out the unit you like if you take a look all are owner owned and vary in price and amenities just a suggestion

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

sydneycat, which building is this unit in? Pictures are very nice!

Thanks.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

Hers is a link to the sealodge Condos

kauai-vacations-ahh.com/kauai-rentals-activi…

http://www.hestara.com/

and reviews on Tripadvisor

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60626-d87388-R…

8. Re: Where should we base ourselves - 1 week Oct 8-15th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 11:19