We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone is aware if they use a decent-sized boat and if it will be OK for people somewhat prone to seasickness? My girlfriend and I went on a sunset cruise out of Lahaina in Maui last year and she took a Dramamine and was fine. Just wondering if you think this is any different (boat size, conditions-wise, etc.) or if anyone has done it and has any feedback.

Mahalo!

McPherson, Kansas
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

We did this cruise about two weeks ago. Several people got seasick, one pregnant woman was very, very sick. About half of our group was sick enough that we didn't eat any of the dinner that they served, I heard it was good though. We took ginger pills and bonine but it didn't seem to help much. I couldn't say enough good things about the crew, they were so helpful with everyones sickness. We didn't get sick enough to throw up but our stomachs were not felling good. It is a pretty good size catamaran so i don't know if that was the problem. Even with the seasickness, I think the trip was worth it, amazing beauty and Capt. Andy's crew were awesome the whole trip. They even wrapped up a plate for my wife and I to take with us since we didn't eat.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Hard to compare it to the boat you took out of Lahaina but you can go to Captain Andy's website to get information on their vessel....

Besides being 65 feet in length:

Highlights

•US Coast Guard inspected and certified

•Full rigged sail boat achieves speeds up to 20 knots

•Catamaran hull design creates a smooth ride & eliminates rolling

•2 marine heads (bathrooms)

•Trampolines for sunbathing

•Submerged platform for easy entrance into water

•2 fresh water showers for after snorkeling

•Professionally maintained

•Safety equipment and raft

•Quality snorkel gear

My wife got sick on a behemoth cruise ship sailing from New York to LeHavre, France. Sometimes the size of the boat just doesn't matter. There's always someone sick on the catamaran Napali tours. If it's any consolation she'll be in good company if she does get sick. The crew is also very attentive.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Thanks so much for the feedback!

-Just to note, this is not the Napali Coast cruise, but the Sunset/"cocktail" one, which I believe is shorter..

McPherson, Kansas
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Yes, it was the sunset cruise that we took, it lasted about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Hmmm.. A little apprehensive at this point, then.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Benjamin, you must be talking about the sunset cruise that goes along the south shore? If so, that one is indeed shorter than the sunset dinner sails up to Napali. Captain Andy's offers both I believe depending on season. If you're talking about the one that leaves from Poipu (Kukuiula small boat harbor) then it's about a 2 hour cruise with pupus and drinks. But for a person prone to seasickness I don't think it being a shorter cruise will make a difference.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Forgot to add, the waters along the south shore can be smoother OR rougher than a Napali coast tour depending on the time of year. So that's something to keep in mind too.

Pasadena, California
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Take the cruise. Just eat very light. And do not focus on people getting sick in the back of the catamaran. I also think sitting in the above seating helps.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

Took the advice of many locals and went with Capt. Andy. Did not regret a thing. the experience was unforgettable as was the scenery along the Napali Coast. Take precautions just to be safe because the wavers can be a little rough. People at the front of the boat tend to get sicker that those in the rear, but do not let that deter you.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Captain Andy's Sunset Cruise - Seasickness?"

We've done Captain Andy's 3 times. 2 of the 4 get seasick pretty easy (I'm one of them). Only 1 time did one of us get a little sick.

Dramamine, stay out from underneath, sit in the open air at the back, keep an eye on the the coast line.

We usually will check the ocean conditions before going, and make sure they're going up the Napoli (April)