We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

Hello

Trying to decide if we should do a Luau in Oahu or in Kauai. What should be my deciding factors? It'll be late Oct if that matters. If we opt to do Kauai, should I stay local to the North shore or is there one that is worth the drive down to the South?

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

Since you're staying on the North Shore, I'll recommend my favorite luau at the Med. Gourmet in Ha'ena on Tuesday evening. It's smaller and more low-key than the typical luau, but the food is very good, and we enjoy the entertainment. Check it out at www.hcr.com under dining--Hanalei by the Sea Luau. We've been to 4 or 5 others on Kauai, but this is our favorite.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,968 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

How many days on each island?

Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu has by far the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii. Best if you can spend an entire day there.

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

Ditto Med Gourmet's suggestion but they are only on Tuesday so I guess that would help make my decision easier. If you aren't there on a Tuesday plan either Smiths if you choose Kauai or one on Oahu that fits your schedule.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

I agree! We loved the luau at the Mediterranean Gourmet. The food is fabulous and the atmosphere is like having dinner at a friend's house with great entertainment. A nice, small intimate luau.

http://www.kauaimedgourmet.com/index.html

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

Thanks guys--you are all so helpful. Well we arrive in Kauai on a Tuesday, which also happens to be my Birthday...the next night (Weds) is actually my husbands' birthday. (It's a birthday vacation-aren't we cute?). So if Med Gourmet is the recommendation then would that be a nice suggestion to do one one's birthday? I think that sounds kinda fun

We'll be in Oahu for 4 real nights, but I'm afraid I'll be too jetlagged to try to do anything the 1st few nights, so if one island was worth it over another I was going to take that into consideration. From what I understand the ones in Oahu are far more "cattle hurding" like than what you may experience in Kauai. Personally, we just care about the food and the overall experience.

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

I think it sounds like a great idea. Wed. night you might want to try Kauai Grill at the St. Regis for excellent food and a fantastic view.

Happy Birthdays!!

Edited: 07 August 2011, 01:15
California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

My niece spent her 40th celebrating at Med Gourmet attening the luau and she said it was the highlight of her trip. Perfect timing!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

If you decide on Mediterranean Gourmet, I would make reservations as soon as possible. They tend to fill up quickly!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

If it were my decision (and I live on Oahu half-year and own on Kauai), I would go to the Luau at Mediterranean Gourmet AND spend a day at Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) on Oahu. The food there (PCC) is not exceptional, but the day's activities and the evening show certainly are. If you go, spend the whole day.

Here is a video that will give you a good idea of the PCC:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Luau in Kauai or Oahu?

Agree with Hank. It wouldn't be a duplication. They're like night and day.