We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

I'll be between 18 and 19 weeks pregnant when we go over Labor Day weekend/week, and was hoping to find some hikes that wouldn't be too bad during my pregnancy. I've been exercising daily throughout my pregnancy, but I don't want to push myself too much while on vacation.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

That is easy, there are two toatally different hike/walks available to you in the area.

Pass on Hanakapiai, they just hauled out another hiker last week with a broken ankle.....helicopter then ambulance to Wilcox Hospital. Rocks and mud, and slippery trail.

Walks for you and baby that are pretty darned nice, and yet safe.

1. There is a great walking trail that runs along the main road into Princerville. shoppin village....it winds through beautiful trees, grass, and next to the golf course. Totally pleasant. You will meet others who are into staying healthy and fit. this will feel good. Lots of fresh air, and a park like atmosphere.

2. Hanalei Beach( short drive )...about 2 miles of sand along a crecent shaped beach with great ocean views, and watching surfers out on the break. bacl ground is tall green mountains with waterfalls in season.

Wonderful walk along the sand, or there is a small trail up from the beach that is on more level ground and parallels the shore. Absolutely great and safe.

3. We also went walking through the nice homes in the neighborhood adjacent to the Hanalei Bay Resort. Not long , but felt good.

Might want to think about those, and walk for as long as you wish and then do a 180.

After hiking , snorkeling, kayaking, we really like stopping at Kalypso's in hanalei town for a refreshing libation, and great lunch, and talking story with other people at the bar. They also have plenty of tables if you wish to just be with your best beloved with no outside conversations.

Those two should work out well for you, but no matter were you hike or walk, please pay attention as to where you plant your earthpads.

Have fun, mom...

Denny

Edited: 10 August 2011, 01:08
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

Anini Beach is another nice, long walk on sand that's pretty easy to walk on.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

I did the Kalalau Trail when I was pregnant with my 1st and I was 37 years old. I took it slow and easy and it was fine. My husband was with me and the hike to Hanakapi'ai Beach is not bad at all, especially if you are in shape. I had tons of water with me as well. Your balance may be a bit off so keep that in mind. I planned on turning around if I did not feel up to the hike but that never happened.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

The beach walks are great suggestions. You can also walk over a mile on Lumahai beach, from the one end with the little trail in the woods down to the rocks to the other end by the stream and road. In the middle part you probably won't see anybody.

The first 1.5 miles (each way) of the powerline trail from the north trailhead are mostly flat on an easy dirt road. You get some nice views of the interior, on a rim above the Hanalei valley. It's very lush and green (sometimes rainy, take an umbrella), and you can usually see wild orchids (non-native). Look for the little trails into the trees towards the valley to find some views--but don't go too close to the edge. The trail/dirt road sometimes has some mud puddles, but you can usually get around them easily.

To find the trailhead, turn inland at the intersection right at the Church of the Pacific, drive a few miles and park in the dirt by the water tank.

It can be hot and humid, so take plenty of water, a hat and sunscreen.

California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

I have seen pregnant woman on the trail, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it. It has big boulders and tree stumps jutting out and it can be very slippery when raining or when theres been a recent rain. If anything happened, you are very far away from emergency services, hospitals and cell coverage is poor. I would stick to some of the other recommendations.

I also love the bike path along the ocean on the East side of the island. Its about 30 minutes from Princeville, but it makes such a nice day. Stop by Scotty's for lunch, enjoy the views and keep walking or maybe consider renting a bike.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

The Kuilau Ridge trail in Keahou Arboretum is a beautiful inland trail with a wide, grassy path and a picnic area 1 mile in. We took our toddler and his grandparents on it in April, so it's certainly a trail for all abilities.

It's in Kapa'a, so a bit of a drive from Princeville, but lovely nonetheless.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations! I've been a bit on the fence about Hanakapiai. Physically I think I could do it, but my biggest worry is slipping on a rock and injuring myself. I think I'll stick to the sager beach trails this trip and save Kalalau for a future trip. Hopefully, after this upcoming trip, it won't take me another 12 years to get back to Kauai!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,088 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

You're making a wise choice. It isn't just about how physically fit a pregnant woman might be. A person can be as fit as possible but still have an unexpected accident , slip/fall, etc. on the trail. Why endanger the baby in a place where there are no emergency medical services readily available.

9. Re: Hikes near Princeville while pregnant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 17:18