We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
185 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Bay

Two Saturday's ago after watching the sandcastle building contest by the Hanalei Pier, I went back to spend the rest of day in the center of the bay near the second lifeguard tower. I'm just relaxing on the beach when a girl comes walking by with two dogs, one on a leash the other a Lab running freely. The Lab stops about 20 feet in front of me takes a dump. The girl picks up a stick digs a hole, flicks it in covers the hole and walks on. It was pretty close to where the water would come to. Is this the norm? I have never seen this done in 54 years on the planet. Besides that it was a perfect day on the beach.

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Bay

I hope you said something to her. That is disgusting!!!! I would have suggested she grab a bag and clean up after her animal. I have never seen any dog do that or an owner be so lazy.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Bay

I'm sure with a few good waves the poop was out there floating with the swimmers. I'm not surprised. Kauai is pretty laidback and these things sometimes go along with that.

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Bay

Oh pleaasseee! Laid back is one thing...... lazy is another!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Bay

Not cool but not shocking for here.

Compared to what's coming down the river...............

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Bay

Jebett, I'm not at all condoning the action. I'm saying "laidback" goes too far at times on Kauai.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Bay

The dogs owner is totally responsible for her animals, and should have been carrying a bag, or what ever to clean up...

But...it is a different culture, and there are a lot of practices here that are very different from mainland. And, yep, things do bother us, but we do something about it when we can.

If it is a shock to see one pile of dog poop, try volunteering to clean up nawiliwili harbor, or our beaches, or our rivers. And in most cases it is not the visitor who is responsible for the messes.

It is definitely not Erica and I. But, we can do something to help out the problem.

Perhaps , if a person is so outraged by what they saw, they could have been part of the solution, instead of just ignoring it.

We collect bags full of trash, and bad ju ju on the clean ups, and actually enjoy doing so......and there are a lot of us.....volunteers from different groups all over the island.

And, it is not just residents, we have visitors also assisting and that is great to see. We have even met TA'ers on the Maha' ulepu beach clean ups. and ,yes, all smiles, and having fun. Out in the sunshine, an ocean a few steps away, all equiped with gloves,and trash bags. They are giving back to the island.

So, perhaps visitors might think about helping out and being part of the solution. Take a few seconds out of your sitting on kauai beaches, or walking along to keep the island beautiful.

Or perhaps, even checking out the websites for Malama Maha'ulepu, Surf rider, or the Sierra Club and volunteer for a fun couple of hours to not only clean up trash, nets, and unmentionables, but get down and pick up even the tiny pieces of plastic that are eaten by natures critters and birds.

Just a thought from a different perspective of giving back to the island for all the beauty and wonderful memories that we are all sharing.

Malama Kauai

Aloha

Denny and Erica

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Bay

I am not about to carry doggy bags when I walk the bay. Its nice you clean up trash, Denny, but animal owners have a duty to clean up their dog feces when in public places. I would think of other ways to dispose of the poop if I saw that lady doing that....if you know what I mean.

As far as what comes down the river, thats a whole different subject, but it irks me that people feel they can let their dogs roam the beaches (not on leashes) and then thinking burying the poop is okay.

I know you weren't condoning it, Napaguy, but laidback is one thing, and not caring is another. Myy family that grew up on the island and still lives there are definately laid back, but inconsiderate? No!

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Bay

I saw a similiar incident on Oahu a few weeks ago. A lot of people were around, and as the dog owner started to leave the scene of the crime, an outraged onlooker stood up and berated the girl. He read her the riot act, told her to get something to clean it up and told her he would wait for her to come back. Five minutes later, she returned with bag in hand, and scooped up the poop. It was a great day for justice!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,314 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Bay

For the record: we ALWAYS bring paper towels and a bag when the dogs go ANYWHERE with us!

3Chihuahuas

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Bay

No one should have to be "part of the solution" by picking up someone else's dog crap.

The solution is to do exactly what TomTravel just described. Honestly, I'm surprised that girl returned with a bag to take care of it.