We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Grill?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
821 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Grill?

We would like to have a special dinner somewhere with a great view and everyone raves about the great views from restaurants at the St Regis, however, the reviews on TA are very mixed to say the least, with wildly differing views of this establishment. I don't mind paying up for a special honeymoon dinner but, I do expect the food and service to match the price tag, or at least come close given its location.

Any thoughts? I also thought we might go to soak in the view and just for drinks at Makena Terrace, or the bar then eat somewhere else cause there are enough bad reviews to make me think twice about plopping down a few hundred for dinner.

lastly, can someone explain the difference at the ST Regis between the bar, MT, and KG as far as the views are concerned?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Grill?

Kauai grill is 100% indoor with large glass windows facing west along coast. You get a nice view of Bali Hai and Hanalei Bay. MT is similar except you are outdoors in much of the space (all?). The bar area is between the two but you have an outdoor lanai area that limits your view if you are indoors.

We enjoyed KG. Bit OP for what it is but that's what I'd expect in a St. Regis.

If you're on the NS, they really do have the only expansive view from a restaurant. Med. Gourmet is right at sea level so you can see the waves, but it doesn't compare IMO. If you are staying further south, you have more choices for a special meal.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Grill?

I was going to suggest Med Gourmet.

http://www.kauaimedgourmet.com/about.html

I have only heard good reviews on this place. I am dying to try it for our anniversary dinner next month.

Edited: 16 August 2011, 22:08
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Grill?

I truly don't like the price tag at the St Regis, BUT the view is incredible! I have looked at Hanalei Bay from a lot of angles a lot of times, but this was something else. I swear the glass magnified the view!

I like the idea of cocktails at MT and then dinner out; that would be the perfect compromise - for us. Med Gourmet is very good! However, if you both are going to be drinking, driving to Haena is not a good idea.

I don't think the KG will disappoint you, but it will cost. When we went, I was far too prepped for the "perfect" dinner, so it really couldn't measure up. Reasonable expectations usually make for much more successful experiences. I knew better!

Killer views at KG- and ask to be seated at the window! As soon as possible if that is where you choose. (You can always cancel a reservation if you change your mind.)

Edited: 16 August 2011, 22:37
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
821 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Grill?

We are staying at the Westin so it would be super convenient, that and it looks and sounds like one of the best views on the island.

How far in advance would I need to make a reservation, and what time would you suggest in order for sunset? We will be there in 3 weeks. Has anyone had the Waygu beef? Any recommendations?

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Grill?

I have done the St Regis dining in many combos. I think their food is fabulous. Is it expensive? Heck yes, but every bite was like a big AWWWWWEEEE!!! I will pay for that quality. I have had very good service there. Did I need to grab the bread guy a couple of times to refill my plate? Yes, but overall I have had excellent meals there and can't wait to return. The view is unreal. Makana Terrace I have had breakfast, lunch and dinner. I did not find the food the same as KG but the views are special. I have also gone to the bar terrace (different location than MT) and enjoyed puu puus and drinks and spent as much as dinner at BarAcuda.

If you really want a special treat then splurge at KG. You don't need to break the bank and order 4 cocktails and dinner. We enjoy a glass of wine or mai tai on our lanai and then dinner there. It is quite a treat! Also its fun to dress up one night which you can do at this restaurant.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
821 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Grill?

I think you just talked me into it Jebett!

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai Grill?

Order the side of butter with mashed potatoes. You will know why I call it this when you are done.

When the sun goes down and the lights dim in the restaurant you are in for a treat.

Enjoy! I hope you love it as much as I do.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai Grill?

It's now 7:25 and it's just about to be dark. If you were to get a 6 PM seating, you should be fine for winter. When are you coming? Obviously it makes a difference. The weather websites have sunrise/set times. Kauai is a bit later than Oahu given we're 100 miles west.

Wagyu beef is good. Not $75/steak good in my opinion. I had much much better beef in Chicago from USDA prime. Wagy is a bit too oily/fatty to me.

I enjoyed my $48 veal chop at KG (comes with a sprig of parsley IIRC) but it was not a multiple O sort of experience. You're paying a hefty premium for that view. Just keep in mind that's what the deal is and don't expect faultless service. Ours was just fine. My only downrate of KG was value/money but we knew that going in.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai Grill?

either they've changed the menu or my memory is faulty (both are possible lol).

http://www.kauaigrill.com/

the current menu seems to have slightly more reasonable prices than I remember and they seem to have a bit more on the plate than just the meat and a sprig of parsley. FWIW.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
821 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai Grill?

It's now 7:25 and it's just about to be dark. If you were to get a 6 PM seating, you should be fine for winter. When are you coming?

We get to Kauai on the 5th of Sept. We probably would not get to KG until about a week later since we are on the south shore for the first part of our trip.