We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

I'm still trying to decide on which condo complex to book in November, price for the three are similar. I realize Kiahuna is the only one with beach. Aside from that, is one a better choice over the others in terms of location? Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

These 3 properties are all good choices.

Poipu Kapili is my No#1 pick ...due to the spaciousness of the units (Some have A/C) The views are wonderful and it is a reasonably short walk to the beach.The property is well managed and meticulous.Pool is central with an Ocean view. Sunsets sitting on the Lava wall in front of the property gazing at the ocean with a cocktail are memorable moments

Kiahuna is a beachfront property. The units are spread out and some quite set back from the beach. Pool is in a remote location.. Lovely landscaped grounds.Small units.

Poipu Sands while a rather nice property with potential for great views..it depends on the unit. More distant from restaurants & shops other than the HIlton which is literally next door. Nice walking pathways.

You would likely be happy at any of the 3..but for me PK is a standout.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

I chose Poipu Kapili after extensive research. My stay isn't until October and I'll post at that time. I'm looking forward to my eight nights.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

Poipu Kapili is our favorite. Kiahuna would our second choice.

We like the smaller size of Poipu Kapili, the pool in the center of the complex and the high standards of maintenance.

The negative for Kiahuna is the pool is not in the complex, it is across the road and up a bit, you almost have to drive to it if you are in one of the lower units.

You could also be on property at Kiahuna and not be any closer to the beach than you are at Poipu Kapili because of the size of KP.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,750 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

Another vote for Poipu Kapili. Newer, larger units and A/C is an option. Kiahuna is a nice, older, complex on a beautiful big property, but the units are small. Scott has already outlined the pool situation -- and the possibly long walk to either beach or pool. Beachfront isn't always so great in Hawaii either, as all beaches are public. You can have a privacy issue.

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

You are certainly on the right track and as others have said all three are good choices.

Biggest questions for you..... Does a pool even matter? Does being so close to a great beach outweigh a pool close by? Do you need a large rental? Do you want to be close to a great restaurant?

In order my vote is Poipu Kapili (just nicer units overall), Kiahuna if you get a nice upgraded unit and Poipu Sands last. While I always liked it for its closeness to The Hyatt, it is not as nice as the other two choices!

I would throw Whalers Cove in the bunch over P Sands just to confuse you even more!!! :-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

Thanks to everyone, we've booked Poipu Kapili, oceanfront, can't wait!

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

After reading this thread, I am so happy having made the Poipu Kapili choice, months ago, of our upcoming visit. cosmogirl, we'll be there late Oct. and early Nov. for two weeks. Have you been on their website? You can virtual tour many of the units. They look huge and really are nicely decorated and maintained.

Poipu, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

Aloha, this is Lorraine from Poipu Kapili. Thanks everyone for the great reviews! We really appreciate it.. To Cosmogirl, ASU_Sundevils and Milwkid9090: we'll see you all soon! Looking forward to meeting you, and be sure to let us know if you need anything before your arrival. Aloha and Mahalo!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

Kiahuna and Poipu Kapili would tie for my first choice . Each of them deserves it but for different reasons.

If being on the beach and not having to walk down a road to get to it matters to you then go with Kiahuna. If having the largest units ( compared to most Poipu condos) in a smaller develoment matters to you then go with Poipu Kapili. The walk to the same beach Kiahuna is on is no more than 10 minutes anyway.

Now that Kukuiula Village has been built there a good number of restaurants and things to visit there so Poipu Kapili isn't so much out of the "hub of activity" anymore. Give yourself roughly 15 minutes to walk there.

Before I had my own place in Poipu we used to stay at both Kiahuna and Kapili and loved them both. I usually don't advocate split stays but one time I was so undecided we stayed at both, in ONE TRIP. And they're only a 10 minute walk apart. lol. It just added a little twist to the trip even though we parked at the same beach each day.

California
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Kiahuna Plantation?

Napaguy, we did the same thing one year except we split our stay between Kiahuna and Kuhio Shores. Now we just split our stay between Kiahuna and the North Shore, and I expect that to change in the next year or two. Maybe someday I'll be able to say, "Before I had my own place..." :)