We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
717 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

Thank you to all for your posts and input. As always, TA provides a mountain of info helpful to we travelers.

Here's where I stand:

Arrive Friday 11/18 - pick up Hertz Car (Priceline deal)

Quick trip to Island Garden Inn Hotel (1 nt)

Then a quick trip to Marriott Kauai Beach Club across the street for a Sat. check-in. Have 1 bedroom suite until Sat 11/26 but will check out late 11/25 for a 9:30pm flight out (this works out so well). Flights were chosen this way because they were oh so expensive otherwise.

I'm a single woman who has traveled the world and is happy to spend a week in the US in Paradise. This trip actually is the last of my timeshare exchange opportunities. My own week was in Cabo and I was able to step out of the contract (long story but very good for my financial situation). So this visit is my swan song so to speak. I thought hard as to where my last exchange should be. Kauai was the ticket!

I would love to connect to those who will be in Kauai over Thankgiving. Mahalo everyone!

California
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

Have a wonderful time. Did you decide where you'll have Thanksgiving dinner? :)

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

That is a good spot for a single traveler to stay. Have a blast!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
717 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

22Kauai, I haven't decided where to eat for Thanksgiving, but will likely hit all the recommended restaurants while I'm there. Too tough to decide on just one.

Now the countdown :-)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

Be sure and reserve early for Thanksgiving dinner. Places tend to book up early for normal dining hours.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
717 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

Based on the menu, I chose Hukilau for Thanksgiving Dinner. If you want to make reservations more than 30 days out, you have to email them. I have done so and waiting to hear back.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

We had a very nice T-day dinner at Hukilau Lanai this year.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

Hi LadyGBD,

I own a timeshare at that Marriott and have stayed there at least ten times. I have never been able to get a late checkout (good for you if you can). It takes longer to clean the timeshare rooms than the hotel rooms and that is why their checkout is earlier.

What they do have, and which I recommend to you if you have a late flight, is use the courtesy changing rooms. You need to pack your clothes for the plane in a plastic bag, beach bag or something, and check your bags with the bellman. You can checkout and pay your bill using the TV. Then you can hang at the beach or pool for the day, eating at Duke's or Kalapaki Grill for lunch. Then get the keycard to the changing room from the concierge, and you can take a shower and change your clothes. Hotel provides towels, shampoo, etc. Then pickup bags from bellman and drive to airport with possibly a stop on the way. Not much in the way of food at the airport, so you may want to get an early dinner someplace. Just allow enought time to shower as there is only the one bathroom in the women's area and last time two other ladies were ahead of me.

Have a great trip!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
717 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

55V - I have my timeshare from 4:00pm check-in time on Saturday November 19 until 10:00am check-out time on Saturday, November 26. I will get to stay in my room as long as I need to on Friday, 11/25 because the room is mine until Saturday morning. I'm just checking out a day earlier. No need for the courtesy room.

I have just received Thankgiving Dinner confirmation from Hukilau and have already booked and confirmed a sunset sail with Captain Andy for Sunday.

I'm set until I get there to see what sites I want to explore! Mahalo!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

Thanks, sorry I misunderstood or did not read your post carefully enough.

Hope you have a great time, Captain Andy has a good boat. Have only done the morning snorkel tour, not the sunset tour, but poster martik really gave a a great review.

Highly recommend spending at least one day up on the North Shore (check out the weather) and another driving up to Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park for Kalalau lookout. Both free other than gas and food and worthwhile.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
717 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK - Set for Nov 18-25, 2011

Thanks 55V, I plan to hit all areas - just will play it by ear based on weather each day. If there's a rainy day - will plan to catch a movie or hang out locally with a good book. Looking forward to R&R.

I dug out my photos from 20 years ago, I didn't label them so now I'm researching so I can finally do so. I didn't remember that I went horse back riding - Not sure if I'll figure out where I went LOL.