We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Dress Presser?

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
Wedding Dress Presser?

I am staying in Princeville, getting married on 9/23, and I am having trouble finding someone to press my wedding dress. I found Delores' contact info through these boards, but she will be out of town. A few people recommended Pono Cleaners, but when I called they said they don't do wedding gowns. I didn't have any luck getting a recommendation from the HBR or St. Regis front desk, and I am getting worried. I appreciate any suggestions!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

Anna, just a shot in the dark since I don't live in Kauai, but what about contacting a wedding planner for a recommendation?

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

I don't have an on island recommendation for you, but I do know that I just ironed mine on a high steam setting (using a very light touch and a high end Rowenta iron). My dress was silk chiffon - obviously the material (beading, etc) would dictate whether that would work... Perhaps hang it in a steamy bathroom? We tried to used Wrinkle Away or whatever that spray stuff is, but it didn't work and it smelled weird.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! We just celebrated our 8 yr anniversary yesterday...

California
Level Contributor
37,226 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

I remember an old thread with this question and there is a lady on the North Shore that does this. I think we ended up contacting the concierge at St Regis to get the answer. I will try and find it, but there is a cleaners in the Princeville Shopping Center. I know brides often bring their own portable travel steamer with them.

If you want to contact a wedding planner, try Diana Gardner at alohanaweddings.com

California
Level Contributor
37,226 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

Here's the thread I remembered.

It does mention a lady named Delores and a phone number. Not sure if she is still in this business.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k18835…

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,361 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

It is so humid on Kauai that you will probably find that any wrinkles disappear after hanging out overnight. However, a light touch with a steam iron on the inside of the dress should do it for anything left.

You won't find many professionals on Kauai doing this as most people can handle it themselves. I've seen lots of weddings on Kauai (the area outside my old condo was a favorite spot) but I've never heard of anyone being hired to iron a dress.

See instructions: …theknot.com/bridal-fashion/wedding-dress-sh…

Edited: 07 September 2011, 23:46
California
Level Contributor
37,226 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

LScats:

I have many guests who hired out to have the dress pressed. There was lady in Princeville who's husband picked the dress up and took it to the presser's home and brought it back the next day. I don't know if she is still doing this. Wedding coordinators can be the best source of options.

If you DO find someone to do this, you can probably plan on paying a lot more than going to Walmart and buying a porttable steamer. I have a travel one and also a more expensive version for suits at home.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

I'm getting married in Kapaa on the 23rd as well! I had a hard time finding someone as well. I bought a travel steamer and will do it myself. I do think that the wrinkles will hang out though.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I took Jebett's advice and contacted Diana Gardner at Alohana Weddings. She's a life saver!! She put me in touch with Angelique at A-Ell Atelier in Kapaa (808)635-4964, and she is able to do it.

Vacanaillady, you may want to give her a call! - I have a steamer, which I've used almost daily for years, and we used a travel steamer to do my sister's synthetic destination wedding dress. My hesitation with steaming it myself is that they drip water and can leave water marks. I didn't want to take a chance on my silk shantung dress. If you do end up doing it yourself, I sometimes I put a nylon over the steamer to help catch the water and steam from the inside out. Good luck!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,361 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

If you click on the link in my post above for instructions on pressing wedding dresses, you'll see that it recommends NOT using the steam function on the iron. Dry Iron only. So no risk of drips.

10. Re: Wedding Dress Presser?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 03:17