We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moloa'a Bridge Out??

illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Moloa'a Bridge Out??

Does anyone know about this bridge being out and if so ...

I am staying in Moloa'a bay in June.. Will we be able to get to the house we rented. We are staying in a oceanfront house.

Thanks

illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

Just had an answer from the owner of the house I am renting.

"The bridge that was washed out is on the other side of the road. It's for the houses in the valley. I guess there were pretty heavy rains last week!! The road to the house is open...no problem getting there at all. "

phoenix, az
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

What part of the island is Moloa'a Bay?

You had suggested this to me in my post on itinerary feedback. Is it considered safe to swim in March/winter?

thanks -

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

Moloa'a is considered the North Shore. It is not a great swimming area any time of year. Particularly in March. Stick to swimming on the South Side until winter is officially over.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

Just wanted to comment since we took a drive down to Moloa just last week.

It is about 2 miles off the highway and very secluded. There are several houses along the shore, but it was very quiet and there were only 4 other people on the beach with us.

I would have gone swimmning there--the beach was sandy but we always wear reef shoes anyway. By swimming, I mean bobbing around in the waves, not swimming far from shore.

Have fun!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
118 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

afanoftravel,

We're interested in staying at Moloaa Bay in July. Which house did you rent?

Mahalo.

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

Hello, We will be staying at Moloaa Bay Pole House in September and if I remember right, I think this is where afanoftravel is staying as well. You can find it on VRBO. There are also several other places in the Moloaa Bay area on that site. FYI...if you stumble across Paradise Found on Moloaa Bay, keep looking. Aloha and have a great time. We love Kauai and Moloaa Bay!

Seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

have you stayed at the Moloaa Bay Pole House before? My boyfriend and I are considering the house but are nervous booking it off the website ... we've had bad experiences before (not on Kauai) with vacation rentals not living up to the photos on the site at all. we'd feel better about having a recommendation.

illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

I am with hikergirl. We are renting same house. We will be in Kauai 13-21 June and I will let you all know about house.

Owners seem great.

In terms of swimming. We were in Kauai (april 04) and "bobbed" and body surfed on far right side of bay. Great, peaceful and awesome. Our kids - then 3 &6 loved it!

We fell in love with this bay and now this time we are renting this house.

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moloa'a Bridge Out??

i disagree about moloa'a not being a great swimming beach any time of the year.

i've been there twice in the summer and once at thanksgiving. it wasn't swimmable in november, but both times i was there in the summer it was as flat as any north shore beach gets during the summer months.

it's probably my favorite beach on the island. on the south side of the bay, there are some nice palms to sit under, there's a nice patch of rock to snorkel by (although it's small and there really aren't many fish, i have seen turtles there though) and the swimming is great as it's generally got a sandy bottom.