We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

It's time I changed 'gottalovemaui'.....been searching around and can't find out how to do it.....can someone lead me in the right direction, please? Thanks in advance!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

I looked into it too. I believe your only option is to create a new account with the new name. I don't believe you can just change your name on TA.

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

Wow....that's unfortunate! Most other sites/forums allow name changes. You know I wanna change it to Kauai!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,635 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

Aloha,

Be careful about "adding" another name. That would violate TA guidelines which limit users to one name.

Go over to the Support Forum-the experts there will point you in the right direction. It can be done.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

I found this under the Help Center section (teeny, tiny link at the bottom of your TA page):

"In most cases, you can change your display name on the Account Info page of your member profile.

There are two kinds of display names: a friendly name, which is your first name plus initial of your last name; and a screen name, which is a name you create or choose. You may use one or the other on TripAdvisor.

If you’d like to change your display name, visit the Account Info page in your member profile. In certain cases, you may need to contact us to make a change. Typically, if you have already changed from a friendly name to a screen name or vice versa, we discourage further changes unless absolutely necessary and you will need to contact us.

If you have a screen name and are thinking of changing it to another screen name, please note that if you do, your old screen name will be retired permanently and may not be used again, by you or any other member. Please email us with three alternate screen name choices (and a pretty compelling reason why you need to change your screen name again). "

So I checked it out by going to my profile and then clicking account on the left hand side. It shows your info (display name, email, etc). Click the edit link (tiny again on the upper right side of your info) and there you should be able to change your name.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

It's okay to create another name but the idea is that you should only be USING one. That's all Trip Advisor cares about , that you're using one screen name for posting and not multiples.

That said, I was unaware it's possible to change names. Sounds like I got some wrong advice.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,635 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

Napa,

from above:

"If you have a screen name and are thinking of changing it to another screen name, please note that if you do, your old screen name will be retired permanently and may not be used again, by you or any other member. "

In other words, they will disable it.

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

Hmmmm...it allows you to type in your new name change, and press 'save'...but the next screen says it is not allowed. Wow....

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

swmarket, okay then takes care of it automatically.

I guess I was thinking moreso of the people who use different email addresses to create screen names. I wonder if this applies to those cases.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

gtlm - I guess the next step is to email TA with your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices per the help info. It can be done, but they are really making sure you really want it I guess LOL.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Little OT: Time for a Name Change!

It's OK to love 2 islands! I would keep the same name so you never forget your first love. I love Kauai but still love Maui :)

movemetowailea