We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

CO
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

I could use your expertise. I am looking for a 2 bedroom condo or house on the south side (Poipu). We will be arriving on January 4 for 5 nights before continuing on to Oahu for 5 more nights. I need a king or queen in one bedroom for my husband and I and two beds (twins are OK) in the other bedroom for my son and daughter who are in their early 20's. While ocean front or ocean view would be nice, comfort is most important. I would like to spend under $300/night including taxes and fees, but I will pay a bid more for the perfect place (although $2000 total is my max).

My problem - I really want air conditioning and this seems very difficult to find. I know people say it is not necessary, but it sure has come in handy in our visits to the other islands in previous years. Although we have previously only visited during the summer. Any suggestions on condos or houses with AC?

Assuming we have to do without AC, what temperature does it cool down to at night in early January? How do you determine if a place makes effective use of the trade winds? It would really not be enjoyable hearing my husband and son complain about it being too hot to sleep.

Thanks for your help

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

Aloha,

Have you checked with vrbo.com or the local rental agencies?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

january??? you really don't need AC.

Days will be 80 +/- 2 and nights will be 65-70. If it's raining you might even want a top sheet.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

wunderground.com/history/…

weather underground has good historical data

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

While I don't feel you'll need air conditoning in January even in Poipu, here is a company that focuses on units with air conditioning....

http://www.luxurykauai.com/

When the link comes up, watch and listen to the animated lady in pink talk about air conditioning. You're not the only one who wants AC.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

Well, if you take A/C out of the equation, you will have a lot more places to choose from. January will be cool enough that you may end up closing the windows to sleep. At least that's been my experience. Check out thse properties: Nihi Kai, Poipu Kai, Whaler's Cove, Poipu Kapili, Kiahuna Plantation, etc. We stayed in Nihi Kai last June and August 2010. We never needed A/C. The cross breezes kept the unit nice and cool, even in the summer. The aerial map on this website will give you an idea on each complex.

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

There are several rental agencies that rent on the south shore:

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/2-bedroom.html

suite-paradise.com/poipu-vacation-rentals/…

http://www.poipukapili.com/

outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/…

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

I will add Koloa Landing into the mix (condos) but be warned they are still under construction. Good deals though!

http://www.koloalandingresort.com/

I agree you will probably never turn on the a/c (last Jan I was in jeans and long sleeves at night during my visit) but if you are an a/c person there are options.

Regency Villas has a/c.

summitpacificinc.com/regency-poipu-kai-110.h…

california
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Try http://www.vrbo.com/98808, i think you'll like it...but who knows.

CO
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

Thank you all for your help.

marklusich - that house looks very nice - unfortunately it isn't available on our dates.

jebett - Koloa Landing looks very nice, but it looks like the second bedroom only has a queen bed and the prices that were coming up on the website were more than I am willing to pay. My husband will have to make due before I pay that much :)

I am considering the Regency Villas (apparently they are different from Regency which do not all have AC), Unfortunately this particular unit is not available all of the days I need. I'll have to see if I can find one that is available (that I can afford).

jet83 - I have looked at vrbo.com - next step is contacting some the local rental agencies.

martik - Thank for the list of rental agencies. I'm going to email some of them and see what they come up with.

Poipu Kapili looks good and the prices that are coming up look good.Kiahuna Planation looks like it would work, but for the price I think Poipu Kapili is more attractive.

When I plug my dates in on Parrish's website, the only units that come up are Waikomo Stream Villas and again, for the price, Poipu Kapili looks better - you get an ocean view for the same or less money.

I guess I figure if I'm not going to get AC, why not try and get an ocean view.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

<<I am considering the Regency Villas (apparently they are different from Regency which do not all have AC)>>

ALL of Regency has A/C as far as I know. They are newer and away from the ocean. A business associate of my husband's owns at Regency (not the villas) and it definitely has A/C. Here is a map of Poipu Kai. You can see the Regecy and The Villas near the intersection of Poipu and Pe'e Roads.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/poipukai_sitep…

I still do not think you will need A/C, especially in January!

Here is one at The Regency and you'll see it has central A/C.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/RP813.html

Edited: 14 September 2011, 21:52
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help finding 2 bed condo or house on south side

Poipu Kapili is our favorite, some of the units have A/C, but we have never used it, and we are usually at KP during Sept & Oct. You really won't need in Jan.

We like Poipu Kapili because it is so central to both shopping centers and their restaurants, is a smaller complex, meticulously maintained and the grounds are great. The units are big too.