We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

We just came back from a week in Kauai. It was first visit. We think the island is beautiful. We took TA experts' advise and went to Dolphin, Duke's, Bouchon's (twice); did Blue Hawaii Helicopter tour (fabulous and professional) and spent tons of time driving and found "Ultimate Kauai" book extremely helpful. I wanted to start this post by letting you all know, that even though we are Anguilla lovers who are to that island what you are to Kauai, we loved your island and thank you for your advise and help before we went.

Sadly, however, I need to report that the Wyndham Ka Eo Kai is probably the worst place we have stayed in our 25 years of travel all over the world and THAT is saying quite a lot! While we do not expect any timeshare to be a 5 star resort and have stayed in some that are "dated" as this place was described by some posters and have stayed in a few hotels in Turkey and Greece that are not up to US standards, we have never left a property earlier than planned before, which means we felt so strongly about this property that we incurred extra costs to stay elsewhere.

First, I was told when I called the property two months in advance asking to be put in one of the units recommended by a TA poster and emphasizing that we did NOT want to be on a ground floor or on the road, that they would do their best but that 10 units or so were being renovated "inside" (so, she said, no outside disruption) so no guarantees. However, to make a looong story short, we were told that Wyndham owners got first pick and RCI people last pick.(not that RCI folks get the dregs) We were first given a first floor unit on the parking lot; then when we objected, a second floor on the main Princeville road. No a/c and too much noise to even open windows. HOT. Not just 10 or so units but more than half were being renovated so there were toilets, building materials, and large vehicles in the parking lot. Workers were being housed on the property and several were living in the unit below ours so, while not terribly noisey, they smoked a lot. Our unit ,19B, was a throwback to the early 70s with a sink and tub IN the bedroom (same space). Thankfully, there was a large tree by the back corner of the deck so we could a little privacy to sit outside and have breakfast (too hot inside) but, since it was on the main road and the constructions vehicles were moving around to the back of some units via the main road, it was not a peaceful setting. We noted that the unrenovated units next to ours and others on the road had air conditioners. The concierge, once we told her we would not go to a "presentation" for property that we found so wholly unacceptable, she made efforts to have us moved to Bali Hai. We looked. While those units are newer and nicer, the two they offered were either right behind the pool/waterfall/office area or on the same road we were already on. Why move to that!!? By the 4th day we had had our fill and checked out the Marriott in Lihue when we went for our helicopter ride. We moved to that wonderful (highly recommended) property for the rest of our stay.

Wyndham bought RCI but clearly does not value it's members. Also, it seems disrespectful to any owners (Wyndham or RCI) to keep this property open when (a) it is in such terrible condition (I only touched on the surface); (b) there is so much noise and construction; (c) when workers are living on and using the property (pool, etc). This property should be closed and while it is, several of the front desk folks need some customer service lessons (one told us "what difference does it make; you don't spend that much time in your unit anyway"---I want to know how she knows how people spend their vacation time). Not so short a story but I wanted to get the point across that, while some postings on this place were not as negative as ours, I think it is because the property was not under such major reconstruction when they stayed there and perhaps they are Wyndham timeshare owners. I would advise finding someplace else to stay if you have any plans to go there in the future until you can be guaranteed that all construction, including a/c in all units and updated in all units, is complete!

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

From your previous question, I think I spoke about this timeshare complex. Maybe I was being too kind, but I do not like it and warned you it was not one of Whyndams better resorts.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60626-i828-k44515…

I would have given that front desk person a piece of my mind if they said that to me. Please do not base all RCI's timeshares on Kauai based on this property. The Marriott in both Lihue and Poipu are in a league of their own. I really don't like any of the Whyndham properties on the island.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

While one could say you were duly warned it sounds like you didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. Have you posted this in the review section of TA? As far as the smoking, did you report that to management? That's illegal by Hawaii statutes.

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

This is where the review belongs:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60626-d489023-…

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

jebett and Napaguy, y

You are both right on some points and let's just say "lesson learned" and from now on the rosey glasses come off! I actually never saw the most recent TA reviews on this property per the hotel review section and my bad for not looking. I had looked at the RCI reviews and last one was July 23 and seemed to be mixed based on which unit you had. No word that so many units were down and the construction so disruptive. I guess I took the person whom I spoke to in July at her word when she said she'd do what she could to get us a good unit. Had she been honest from the start about who gets priority, I probably would have called RCI to try to be moved before we got there. Again, while Bali Hai is a little better in age than this place, why pack up and move for the same location and no a/c? As for her comment about what we do on vacation, other than the concierge (who was really a sales person), the rest of the staff had an "I don't care anyway" attitude so why say more than I already had; fell on deaf ears. The on-site RCI rep was on vacation the time we managed to stay on the property.

We never reported the smoking because we didn't want any of the workers to get in trouble and, since we were right above them, who knows what their reaction might have been (paranoid on our part, I guess). Had no idea there was a no smoking law in condos in Hawaii or I would have complained.

I will post a review on the TA hotel site, jebett, and frankly will not ever stay at any Wyndham "resort" no matter where it is.

However, the restaurants were supberb, the sites fantastic, the people friendly and helpful. Sadly, the warnings about car breakins are every where and make folks feel a bit unsafe. Can Kauai be any worse than any place else that there have to be warnings about it just about every where??

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

Where were seeing car break in signs? I have seen them at just one location. Maybe the KPD is ramping up warnings.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
717 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

horselady4, unfortunately those of us who have timeshare exchanges are limited to what's "in the pool". You did your best at choosing a property that you thought was a match for your needs and expectations. I've had a few not so nice surprises with my Interval International vacation exchanges. Interval gives me the opportunity to review my stay. Does RCI allow the same? That may be where you may want to start. This property clearly should not be available until they finish their construction.

I'm glad that that your overall impression of Kauai was not hampered by this experience.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

Often I see that there are many good recommendations for places to stay, and the visitor choses , as they are free to , to make thier own decision and pick something totally different than recommended.

I suppose time share or RCI points or whatever do come into the equation.

I have personally seen here, and is probably the same anywhere, that many of the hotels, time shares, etc, do not warn the guest ahead of time of construction....zero.

And, how do I know that....I talked with the guests, and asked them. Each time the answer was no, they had no idea. In between the sound of jack hammers.

I have empathy for the OP , and having to put up with the construction and the construction workers.......fact is that these construction companies bring in workers from Oahu, the mainland, and mexico....some cannot speak english.

Here at Banyan Harbor, we have many contruction workers put in here by their companies, and now it is pretty much under control, but, before the was an uprising among the regular residents, it was bad.

How bad, not fit for families, or anyone with any values, and normal living.

like what ! loud cursing, screaming at high volume, late night early morning blaring music, fights, 2 am police presence, tearing up units, and a general low level of disrespect for anyone.

Management now has a handle on that, most of the time, but suffice to say, if there is construction going on, we would not be renting at that particuar resort, condo, hotel, etc. , unles it was minor, and we had good reports.

This is what we witness from living here, and hope it would help others who are coming over not having to experience what the OP did.

And once again, 17 years of driving on this island, and never had a break in...never been robbed, never been in a fist fight, never had any trouble.

Denny

Denny

_
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

That's too bad. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope it didn't ruin your vacation.

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

Thanks to you all. No, tried not to let it ruin our vacation but did take a lot of time talking with staff, running over to Bali Hai and generally a pain that didn't need to happen.

Yes, we timeshare owners are stuck with the "pool" of available units and I thought I did my homework. The last poster to the Hotel TA site posted after we had left for our 4 pre-Kauai nights in California, so I never saw it but the attitude of the staff probably wouldn't have allowed us to do much more than we did. That one post about the place made our stay look like heaven! When I look back at some of the postings, I wonder who actually wrote them---unit owners? Wyndham employees? Certainly weren't a true reflection of this place!

I have to say that once we got home and I called RCI, they were very responsive, apologetic, and returned our week. Of course, we have to use it by October 31 or pay $99 to combine it with another week later on so they have their best interests in mind as well.

As for jebett's question about signs for breakins, we saw them at the beaches, in the shopping centers (Safeway, Hanalei) and a few other places.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wyndham Ka Eo Kai--don't do it!, esp if RCI owners!!

One of numerous reasons that I prefer hotels to Time Share properties. I know people love time shares, but they are not investments (they are obligations) and they are almost impossible to exchange for a property you really desire to visit.

Yes, I have a few time share weeks that I received for nothing as the people had to unload. I often give the weeks away to friends who enjoy the treat.

Why I like hotels. You book what you want, when you want it and you pay the going rate based on market price.

Sorry you had a bad experience however. I hope you have better experiences in the future.