We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline did it again

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline did it again

I have been bidding for 2 weeks to try and get a better Priceline deal for my upcoming trip. I decided to give it one more try. It said bidding $16-18/day for economy (I usually end up with a mid size when I get to the agency) would do the trick, so I said I will try $12. It went through. It's not $8/day like I got in May but it saved me $70 total. That's dinner at BarAcuda!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline did it again

Can I join you?

Nothing wrong with $12!...unless you get crank windows again! Did you get Alamo?

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline did it again

Yes I got Alamo. :-)

I put up with crank windows when I got $8. I might not at $12.

California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline did it again

We also always get a great deal on Priceline. Have never had a bad experience with them.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline did it again

How far out do these great deals usually come available? And are there extra costs for spouses as drivers when you bid on Priceline?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline did it again

Extra drivers are a problem with Priceline bids. They can cost $10/day - or more.

Timing? Because you have to pay (non-refundable) when a bid is accepted, typically you wouldn't try until the last few weeks before you travel. You are bound to have a few bids that don't make the cut and there is a 24 hr wait until you can try again. So it can take a bit of time, like jebett shared.

Formula I always used was to check Hotwire prices and then bid at 40% lower - if that was a good price. To get 2 bids in a day, I would go back and forth between Compact and Mid-size. I had a lot of $8, 10, 12's. Great prices!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline did it again

Re: spouses, it totally depends on which company you get (which is why we chose not to do so this trip). 5 weeks of additional driver fees is too pricey to risk it. For a shorter trip, the break on Priceline can make up for those fees if low enough. Based on the research I did, it appears only Enterprise, Avis and Budget allow the spouse to drive for free. Best to figure out what the additional costs will be and factor that into the Priceline bid (or if you're comfortable just having one person drive, which we've done at times, too).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline did it again

Mezzsop -- we must have been typing at the same time. Good advice!

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline did it again

Thanks for the info. I may give it a shot in a few months. I'm usually the driver with DH navigating anyway, so it could be a non-issue really.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline did it again

bella, additional drivers, even a spouse will most likely incur an extra charge. To add a driver you do this at the rental counter when you pick the car up. Priceline NYOP does not have an option for additional driver. Even frequent renter programs like Hertz #1 or Alamo Insiders (where the spouse driver is free) do not apply to Priceline NYOP. Make sure you read ALL the FAQ's before submitting a bid.

Edit - looks like I was typing while everyone else was too!

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 28 September 2011, 03:51
Ventura, CA
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline did it again

I do Priceline all the time for hotels, but not autos. Going to Oahu in October. Are there close rentals near the Hilton Village? I only need a car for one or two days of island travel.