We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any news abot the Coco Palms?

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Any news abot the Coco Palms?

Reading a recent thread mentioning the Coco Palms Hotel made me wonder if there is any new news regarding the staus of rebuilding the hotel. I was lucky enough to stay there in the late 80's, and of course was mesmorized by the place like a lot of people. I know they have had a lots of false starts in buying/rebuilding the property, and was wondering if anyone had any recent information.

California
Level Contributor
41,034 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

Its closed, disgusting looking and sad to see. Coco Palms Ventures LLC owns it I follow the news on the CP facebook page. Bob Jasper offers free tours to locals on Fridays and tours for the public Monday thru Friday at 2pm.

Here's an article you can read about the redesign:

retardzone.com/2008/…

PS If you have about 10 million to buy it and 100 mil hanging around to bring it up to code and reopen, its yours!

Edited: 03 October 2011, 16:05
palm springs
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

Thanks for the link. I went by the hotel not long ago....very sad. I'll have to see if I have an extra 110 million in my checking account.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

Did you notice that one post on that web-site, dated Sept 7, 2011, was from someone who said she & others were buying it and drawing up plans to restore? Reality or a pipe-dream?

Interesting either way.

Edited: 03 October 2011, 17:32
palm springs
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

I did see it and for some reason I'm skeptical. We can only hope.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

In most places it would be considered abandoned and unsafe property and the local officials would demand it be razed. Instead, they've given permission to give public tours of a property in a dangerous condition. I don't get it.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,578 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

I'm with you, Napa. Having tours of a place that clearly needs to be razed is pupule (crazy). And it's one of the biggest eyesores on the island.

Edited: 03 October 2011, 22:10
Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

Several parties have been talking about making a run at the property....

But it remains in limbo.

Caugh in the netherworld between Kauai's arcane (and in this case adverserial) approval process, stupid promises made by previous owners wanting to develop, a vary wary public, and an unduly romanticized past that can never be recpatured.

A great example in the cited article is the photo captioned "The royal pools that once held fish for Hawaiian royalty are still intact."

Royal pools? They are drainage ditches, originally put through the area by the plantations, and then later reconfigured to drain the coconut grove and support hotel development. It is even labeled as such on Tax Maps.

Unitl people foreget about resurrecting the past, the planning department is willing to bend, the good people of Kauai support some development alternative, and/or the resort condo market absolutely zooms through the roof, those building will probably remain.

And there is not much the County or State can do about them as long as they don't pose an imminent danger to health and safety.

Those decaying buildings, no matter how bad a shape they are in, represent density, building envelopes, an etitlement base, and a marketing hook for the owner/developer; as well as a noose wround his neck.

Edited: 03 October 2011, 23:07
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

It always surprises me that there's no squatters living in it. It's pretty sad, yes.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,986 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Uncle Larry Rivera, who was the headliner at Coco Palms Hotel for over 50 years, still does the "Blue Hawai'i Weddings" at Coco Palms Hotel believe it or not!

Actually since they keep the lagoon area and area adjacent to it pretty cleaned up - it is nice - I've worked a few of his weddings when someone hasn't shown up and they are lovely - the towering coco palms and lagoon and sound of the Hawaiian Wedding song.

Just don't look at the horrendously dilapidated buildings and it isn't so bad.

I don't know what they are going to do with it - I like the idea of a Park for the people of Kaua'i to enjoy - but I think that is a pipe dream personally, although it has been brought up many times.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Any news abot the Coco Palms?

They may have cleaned up the inside for the tours but the destroyed buildings are very visible eyesores to anyone passing by. The common good would mean knocking it all down and moving on finally.