We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

We’re a party of four traveling to Kauai to celebrate our 5th and 30th wedding anniversaries as well as two birthdays (51st & 53rd ). We’re spending 8 nights at Wyndham Koloa Landing and two nights at Grand Hyatt.

I’ve spent months lurking on the Kauai board and have taken copious notes. I’ve tried to heed advice about not “over planning,” definitely not easy to do when you’re a Type A “perfectionist!”

With that said, I’d greatly appreciate your input on what I’ve penciled in for our 10 nights on Kauai. Much may be tossed aside once we arrive, but it helps me relax and enjoy my vacation more if I do my “homework” prior to leaving home.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my lengthy post below. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks again!

Monday (10/10): Arrive LIH 10:30am, Duke’s Barefoot Bar for lunch (valet at restaurant, not hotel), Costco, sunset from Beach House lawn, BBQ dinner at home.

Day 2: Poipu Bay Clubhouse breakfast, Coconut Coast bike ride (rent bikes from Coconut Coasters, ride entire length of trail), snack from Mermaid’s (rare ahi tuna wrap) and/or Chicken in a Barrel, 6pm Seaview Terrace at Grand Hyatt to secure prime seats for Torch Lighting and Hula Show, dinner TBD.

If snorkeling conditions are good on Tuesday, we may opt instead to do an early morning snorkeling tour at Port Allen with the folks at www.theturtletour.com. The snorkeling excursion is included in our Living Social package. We’ve heard snorkeling conditions haven’t been good this week so hopefully waters will be calmer during our visit.

Day 3: 18 holes at Wailua muni course for husbands. Tutu’s Soup Hale breakfast (French or cinnamon toast & chai latte) for wives, Walmart run and Kmart (masaladas). Dinner to go from Kukui’ula Culinary Market which runs from 4 to 6pm on Wednesdays.

Day 4: 10:30am doors off helicopter tour with Mauna Loa while friends tour Lihue. 12:45pm lunch at 22 North, Koloa rum tasting, Wailua & Opeaka’a falls if time permits, 5:45pm dinner at Hukilau Lanai (ahi poke nachos & tasting menu).

Day 5: 8am Tunnels to secure parking, take-out lunch from Hanalei Dolphin Seafood Market (chowder, poke & maki) or Pat's Taco truck, Ke’e beach and Hanalei pier after lunch, 6pm champagne ritual at St. Regis bar to view sunset, dinner TBD.

Day 6: Hanapepe Café & Bakery for quick breakfast before 8am snorkeling excursion at Port Allen with www.theturtletour.com, take-out lunch from Koloa Fish Market to eat at beach (poke bento & kalua pork), Poipu, Kiahuna and/or Brennecke’s beach, dinner at Keoki's (sunset menu from 4:45 to 5:45pm).

Day 7: 10am Makana Terrace for Sunday brunch (request railing table), Hanalei, Kilauea Lighthouse, Anahole Farmer’s Market (wild boar & huli huli chicken) closes 5pm.

Day 8: 9:30am golf clinic at Grand Hyatt and 1pm Poipu Bay golf outing for husbands, Hyatt pool/spa for wives.

Day 9: 9am koi feeding, 10am parrot talk, lagoon, pools, etc. 7pm dinner at Tidepools.

Day 10: Illima Terrace brunch, late check-out, return to Koloa Landing for last night on Kauai, dinner TBD.

Day 11: Brunch TBD, 12pm return rental car, check-in for 2:25pm return flight home.

Edited: 06 October 2011, 17:30
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

cv - you do make me chuckle, seeing you have already chosen all of your food, too! And I thought I was a planner!! And as loong as you are ready to be flexible, you are looking pretty good!

It is a pity to miss the Canyon, but you can save it for next time! You will see it from the helicopter, at least. Your friends will be envious after the fact!

Unless you do aa great deal of rum tasting, you shouldn't have trouble going to Opaeka'a.

Day 6 breakfast - Hanapepe Cafe may not be open for you - I'm guessing you may have checked that out, though! If it isn't, at the top of the hill before Hanapepe, where the traffic lights are, is Grindz. It isn't fast fast, but they do a good breakfast.That is the same corner where you turn down to the Port, as well.

Malasadas may be gone by that time of day, you never know. And if there isn't enough to choose from for a supper at the Culinary Market you can always treat yourselves to Savage Shrimp plates from right there. So yum!

Monday is almost here - have fun!!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

Thanks for the feedback, mezzsop. I'm a HUGE "foodie" and thankfully have a husband who indulges me planning entire vacations around restaurants, food-related excursions, food tours, etc.

I have Waimea Canyon on "stand-by." Both wives suffer from severe motion sickness. My husband and I recently visited Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear and I was miserable the entire weekend after getting severely ill on our drive up.

I also experienced the same thing on our drive up to Haleakala on Maui. I didn't take any medicines prior to either of those drives but purchased Bonine for our Kauai trip, so we're going to play it by ear.

That's why you don't see any sunset cruises on our list. We love doing the Teralani sunset cruise on Maui. However, I've read way too many posts recently about people getting sick on Captain Andy's sails.

We've done tons of wine tasting in wine country since we live in NorCal, so we thought it would be fun to try a rum tasting. Good to know we'll have time to visit both falls before dinner so thank you for confirming that for us!

I think Hanapepe Cafe opens at 7am. If not, thank you for suggesting Grindz as an alternative.

I'll be very sad if the masaladas are sold out so maybe we'll go to Kmart right after lunch before we hit Walmart. I've never met "fried dough" that I haven't loved and definitely plan to check out the donuts at 22 North! :)

Savage Shrimp is on my radar as is Puka Dog. If we don't find enough for dinner at the Wednesday market, we may get takeout from the deli inside Living Market. I've read it's pricey but good, especially the pineapple brioche french toast!

Sigh.. There are so many things I'd like to try and so little time! ;-)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

My oh my, you have it down to the hours too. I hope that you will indeed leave yourself open to chucking the pre-planned itinerary at times and you don't feel you have to yank yourself from something you're enjoying just because you're approaching the hour for the next on the list.

Keep in mind that you're going to find there are many things to see and do that you haven't even read or heard about yet. You might even arrive at the restaurant on your itinerary to find you don't really like the looks of the place. I'm sure you have back-up plans in place for that. My only advice is to leave yourselves open and flexible for whatever comes your way.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

Wow, I have never ever planned that much in advance.

Good for you....I hope you take time to explore the unexpected.

Aloha

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

Are you one of those that if you get off track you freak out? (I have a sister like that). If so be prepared to change up some plans because of the weather.

If you are around Kalapaki Bay Sunday the 16th we hope to see you at a TA gathering at noon at Dukes bar. There will be about 10 of us.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

Hi jebett. You pegged me correctly, lol! I'm definitely a "control freak" but my extremely easy-going, laid-back husband (he's one of eight children and works in law enforcement, so nothing ever phases him) has spent the last 7 years trying to teach me to "relax..."

I won't freak out if the weather plays havoc on our tentative schedule, but I do like having a plan so we don't run around in a million different directions and waste limited funds/stomach space on less than stellar meals/experiences.

I'd love to attend the TA gathering and meet many of you in person, especially since so many appear to be from the Bay Area. Unfortunately, we're only on Kauai for one Sunday and I really want to have Sunday brunch at St. Regis. Would you advise otherwise? It sounds like you're very familiar with the property.

Edited: 06 October 2011, 19:46
Staples, Minnesota
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

I'm a planning freak too, but do give yourself some slack, I was glad we did. We were in Hanapepe last Thurs.(Sept. 29) about 7:30 am, the town was pretty dead, but the Cafe' was indeed open. Have a great trip, wish we were still there.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

Instead of the Muni course you may want to splurge on the Kiele Course at the Marriott or Puakea- Both are beautiful golf courses!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

Freeny, thanks so much for the tip about the golf courses. I'll pass the suggestion on to the men. They don't get to play nearly as often as they'd like so I definitely want them to have the best experience possible. Thanks again!

Edited: 10 October 2011, 04:19
Koloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upcoming Anniversary Trip (10/10/11 - 10/20/11)

Wow! Now that is an impressive itinerary for sure! Here are a few of my own tips / personal bests:

One of the best places to watch the sunset is along the wall on Hoonani Rd just steps away from Koloa Landing. You'll see people lined up each night. We like to walk down with our pooch and a glass of wine.

The best place to snorkel is right next to the Beach House. There is really only one safe place to enter the water from the beach without getting hurt on the rocks so watch people as they get in. Aloha Kauai Tours does snorkel tours there. It is like being in an aquarium! If you aren't satisfied with your snorkel trip then you can make up for it by going here. :o)

There is a free shuttle around the Koloa/Poipu area. Just give 'em a tip. Skip is one of the drivers and a super cool guy. He'll drop you off and pick you up when you are finished with dinner! It's in an open air car decorated with a grass roof. Really fun!

You were smart to book your heli tour near the beginning of your trip that way if it is cancelled due to weather you can re-book the next day or later in the week.

Costco carries Koloa Rum. The Spiced Rum is a must!! Delicious.

There are several very nice covered picnic tables along the bike trail. Not the tables at the beach, keep going and ride almost to the end where it is quiet. You might consider getting your lunch to go and have it with a beautiful ocean view. Mermaids is a PERFECT choice for lunch btw. I love that place!!!

Koloa Mill Ice Cream and Coffee has 50% coffee from 7AM to 9AM M-F. They serve Kauai coffee. The owners are really nice. It is a great place to get a sweet treat.

Have fun and maybe we'll see ya around! Aloha!