We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

Cincinnati
6 posts
Save Topic
Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Hawaii for 2 weeks in May celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. We will be spending 8 days on Kauai and 6 days on Maui. We are looking for activities off the beaten path, and usually try to avoid crowds and tourists. We are active and enjoy hiking, exploring (both on foot and in Jeep), and relaxing on the beach. A few ideas we have are hiking part of the Kalalau Trail, possibly kayaking along the Na Pali Coast, and hiking the Secret Tunnels trail. We aren't sure about some of the catamaran or Zodiac rides along Na Pali, but my husband would love an 'adventurous' sailing expedition that isn't crowded - does this exist?!? Any activity suggestions would be helpful!

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

"We are looking for activities off the beaten path, and usually try to avoid crowds and tourists"

Sorry, but this just struck me as kind of funny - aren't we all "tourists" if we don't live there?

Any of the activites you mention is where the tourists go. Some are less crowded than others.

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

Hey Cincy...eventhough Kauai is visited by TONS of people every year, it feels very "non-touristy" in my opinion. We shared Secret Beach with 3 other people one morning! Amazing! Anyway, there were a lot more people on the Kalalau trail than I would have anticpated, but we still didn't feel like it was crowded. If that makes sense. Also the day we hiked the Canyon Trail we saw about 6 other people the whole day. I know where you are coming from. Eventhough we are all "tourists" some of us like to search out the harder to get to and less visited places which is possible on this fabulous island. Get the Kauai Revealed book if you are interested in boat tours and other "adventure" activities The reviews actually list how many people each company will take on thier boat. Also, there is an entire section on adventures. Have fun planning and you will LOVE Kauai!

Cincinnati
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

Thanks Hikergirl...We bought the Kauai and Maui Revealed books, but haven't yet had a chance to really read through them. Sounds like we should just use that as our guide! We had a feeling the Kalalau Trail may be more crowded but feel that we would wonder what we missed if we didn't do part of it. I will look into the Canyon trail - hadn't really thought about that one. Thanks!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

You can pretty much forget the exploring by jeep part. If you read your rental agreement 99% of the time it will expressly forbid you to take the car off the paved roads.

Kauai is however a hikers paradise so much so that I could not do justice to telling you of all the wonderful places to hike.

Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

Hey Brighton couldn't you give us a few of the best hikes? We are going back for our second time and I am very interested in doing a few hikes but don't know where to start.

Rockford, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

Definitely use the Maui and Kauai Revealed books. In Kauai follow the directions to Polihale Beach. You drive a dirt and gravel road several miles back and will find a very uncrowded beach with the Na Pali Coast as a backdrop. It is just beautiful. When we were there the next closet people were several hundred yards away. I am bad at judging distance but we felt it was very private. We took sandwiches, fruit, and water and had the best picnic ever there!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

vacationhope,

Our top pick would be the Hanalei River Trail. It is a jungle hike (hey why go to the tropics if you don't see a jungle?)

Don't wear white shoes unless you want red one's after the hike :)

Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

Thanks a million. We will have to check it out.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai - Off the Beaten Path

the 2 good hiking books I found where Kauai Trailblazer, (which is really an overall reader) and Kauai Trails (this I didn't find until I went to boders my first day there. Get it in advance online and also look for the Kauai Ready Map. That will help you find the trailheads.