We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using UAL miles for car rental

Rohnert Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
using UAL miles for car rental

We are arriving mid March.i will be using UAL miles + cash for our car rental.Does anybody know if it's better to wait or should I book now. Thanks

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using UAL miles for car rental

Keep in mind that if you use miles for a car rental, you'll miss the insurance provided by a credit card.

As far as now or later: anybody's guess.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using UAL miles for car rental

The amount of miles required for redemption is tied to the current market rate, usually 1cpm. Unless rates are great (i.e. as cheap as Hawaii Discount Car Rental) then I'd wait and keep watching. Make sure you have a backup reservation though.

It's a pretty bad use of UA miles, but if you're miles rich and cash poor you could do worse. Good way to clean out orphan miles.

I'm considering using AA miles for a convertible. You do pay taxes with AA, but the redemption rate is ~1.3cpm. And I am definitely miles rich and cash poor.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: using UAL miles for car rental

Remember that while one would presume they're getting a good deal, by using the miles + cash programs , the cash part of it usually is not the best deal out there. So don't be lured by the bait. My guess is you can play the wait game and check out Discount Hawaii a little later and probably do as well or better, cash only.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,354 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using UAL miles for car rental

You've gotten some good advice. Also, if both of you want to drive, I would find out what, if any, the charge for the additional driver would be. United FAQ's state:

>>>Can I add additional drivers, car seats, GPS and other optional items to my car rental reservation?

Optional items for your car rental reservation are not available through http://www.hotelandcarawards.mileageplus.com. Optional items are not eligible for mileage redemption. To purchase car rental add-ons, contact the car rental company directly.<<<

3Chihuahuas

5. Re: using UAL miles for car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 16:16