We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! To many options and concerns!

Yorktown, Virginia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! To many options and concerns!

I am planning a small wedding on the island for sometime in August. I really want to stay on the North shore to avoid the more resorty atmosphere of the South, but I'm having a very hard time narrowing down my options. I love the idea of staying Hanalei, with everything (stores, food, beaches) at my doorstep, but I am also concerned about the rain. It seems to be the rainiest spot along the North shore. Also, the vacation rentals that I have found don't seem to be as nice as some other areas of the North, yet cost just as much if not more! I have also found homes on/near Anini Beach, Tunnels Beach, and Princeville. With the later, I know I will have a trip to the beach, but the home is really nice for the price. With Anini and Tunnels, the homes are fairly nice, although small, and right on the beach, but I am afraid of being too far away from other things, such as stores and restaurants. I am not as much concerned for myself as I am my family. My fiance and I will be taking our parents and siblings (total of 7 people) and I want everyone to have options since I certainly don't want to have to entertain them all on my honeymoon! Any advice that can be offered would be soooo appreciated! I am literally driving myself insane trying to make a decision this weekend!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

Ask yourself this, are you going all the way to Kauai to stay in what ever accomodation you are renting or are you basicly using it as a crash pad and home base? If that is so then don't fret so much about what you are staying in and spend the time looking at what you want to do while you are there. Your rental after all is a place with a bed and bath and beyond that anything else is gravy. Kauai is not all that big and from one end drivng through to the other end is about an hour so the furthest from anything is..an hour (excluding side trips of course).

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

With 7 people, you'll probably want to spread out and do different things at the same time. So to me, it probably makes more sense to stay somewhere where stores, food, beaches are within walking distance. Hanalei is a great little town. I can't recommend anyplace there because we always stay in the south, but we like having the option of walking to restaurants and shops once in awhile too, rather than having to drive everywhere.

Yorktown, Virginia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

While I don't expect that any of us will be in the house a great deal of time, our parents who are in their 60s will not be as active, and I therefore want a comfortable and nice place for them to enjoy their stay. Not to mention the fact that I want to get what I pay for. Some of the houses that I am considering in Hanalei, within our price range and large enough for 9 people, are not as nice as my own home (and my home is nothing special). Although everything we would want to do is right there, paying as much as $5000 for a less than great house is really what's bothering me! I am used to vacation rentals in the Caribbean, Costa Rica and the Outer Banks NC where $5000 can get you an absolutely fabulous home with every ammenity imaginable and probably right on the beach!

Princeville homes are beautiful,huge, and very affordable, but I know that we would have to drive everywhere, including the beach!

In terms of Tunnels and Anini, can anyone offer a driving distance in minutes and miles from both of these places to both Hanalei town and Princeville?

Would rain in August be a huge problem in any of these areas?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

Aloha, Soooooo...

Holy Kauai Chickens, we need to get you on island time. Planning a wedding is stress enough in your familar enviorns, let alone traveling to an unfamilar location.

Deep Breath, rascal, and let some thoughts of a beautiful island seep into your bones for moment. Ahhhh...ocean, palm trees, waterfalls, warm sand, happy snorkeling, beautiful hikes, friendly people, easy life style....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Feel good ???

First lets consider the weather, and how to enjoy the island working around the rainbow and flower food showers.

Rainfall on the North Shore in August averages 7.3 inches ( hanalei and princeville). That is substantial.

The south shore, which is not all that crowded, no maui like kaanapali hotel rows in any , way , shape, or form. Although it is a bit more populated in Poipu, than up on the north shore. It will not be bothersome, at least is has not been for us.

South Shore ( Poipu Wx-Aug ) rain..1.3 in.

Hi 86..low 73.

Just as a suggestion, you might want to stay where the sun shines, and then, which most of us do anyway...travel and explore the beauty of the entire island.

Check the wx up north, and on a sunny day,drive on up there. Take you mask and snorkel and fins,and if the sea is calm, snorkel. You also will be driving west up to Kokee to hike the marvelous and beautiful trails to view the Kalalau Valley, and Waimea Canyon. Not to mention having a wonderful time right there on the south shore.

Point being, you all are active, and wont be sitting and veging all day. You will be off and roaring, guaranteed. However, for those times at your rental, it would be nice to have sunshine, outdoor bbq's and family fun.

Just a suggestion.

CONGRATULATIONS......

Denny and Erica

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

Sorry, forgot about the drive times.

SOUTH SHORE up to Princeville, rough guess is about one hour and fifteen minutes, give or take.

Hanalei is about another 10 minutes. The north shore beaches are maybe another 10 or 15...

HOWEVER: And this is a bit HOWEVER, the beauty of the drive is so fantastic that we dont seem to notice the time in route, like we do here on the mainland.

Doesnt even enter our brains. And if we see an overlook, or photo opp, we stop and enjoy it.

Speed limits are slower than the mainland, but, you just dont need to be in a hurry...

no hurries-no worries.

Denny

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

Confused, listen well to BB and Kalapaki. (And me, of course.)<G>

Seriously, you might think about staying on the east shore. The Kaua'i Coast Resort is lovely, and I don't think a couple of units would be outrageous. The units are very roomy. It might also be a plus to have your own unit not immediately adjacent to the others. The complex is right on a nice beach, although it's not swimmable. There's a nice pool area, and you'd have about a 3-minute walk over to the shops and eateries in the Coconut Marketplace. We took my inlaws there a few years ago, and they loved it.

Also in KCR is the Hukilau Lanai, one of the top two restaurants on the island, IMHO.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

If you decide on the east shore to stay... 30 mile(?maybe) drive to north. Consider checking out rosewoodkauai.com. The have numerous rentals, and 4 on the same property. Are very close by and accomodations are amazing. The Bunkhouse, thatched "hut",(really one br cottage) and 2 bedroom victorian, and the regular rooms in the B&B are all on the same property in an idealic location. Best of luck!

"holy kauai chickens".. hee I like that. Makes me happy all over again!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
423 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

THe Kauai Coast Resort is very nice-we checked it out while we there two weeks ago and want to stay there in the future. The restuarant there is excellent-I would highly recommend it. We are actually planning on staying there on our return visit in 2 years.

Funny thing for us on our trip-it was pouring on the east and southern side of the island, while Princeville and Hanalei were bathed in sunshine! Everytime we wanted to try snorkeling on the southside, it was raining.

I loved Hanalei, it was very laid back; just wished we could have spent more time there. The bridge was closed into the valley for several days due to flooding so we only got to check it out for a very short time.

Driving distances are not too bad-we always gave ourselves plenty of time as we did not know how bad traffic would be (which some days was very congested).

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

Lesson to be learned lizardlover! When the wind shifts and weather is coming from the south (what we refer to as Kona storms or Kona winds), the south and west shores will bear the brunt of the weather.

The winds normally come from east-northeast. That's why the north shore usually gets more rain. Kona winds throw a wrench into everything and the weather is backwards. That particular storm was very big though, and covered most of the island including the north shore.

When you're on the island, check the weather forecast and see what the winds are doing. That will help you decide the proper direction to point the rental car!!

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! To many options and concerns!

You might find this website helpful:

weather.hawaii.edu/tropical/index.cgi…

Sandie