We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

I am hoping that someone by chance has taken the Coconut Market Place Shuttle in the past couple of months. We cruise in three weeks and I'm still hoping to find out if the shuttle still runs from Nawiliwili pier to the marketplace.

If so, can you tell me where the pick up point is at the pier and how often it runs? Also, if no longer 'free', how much per person.

Thanks in advance! :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

I don't think there is a shuttle of any sort to Coconut Marketplace, but there is a free shuttle to Kukui Grove Mall and K-Mart:

http://www.kukuigrovecenter.com/services.html

Hilo Hattie's also has a free shuttle.

3Chihuahuas

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

Could you rent a car and go where you please? Kauai has so many beautiful places to visit! You can 'shop' in Honolulu.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

If our ship can make it into port at Nawiliwili (because of narrow opening into the harbor, if inclement currents our port of call could be canceled), we plan to do a kayak tour up a river down the street from the Coconut Marketplace. The excursion will take up enough time that we won't have time to drive around the island.

Do you know if the shuttle to Kmart or Hilo Hatties is close to the Coconut Marketplace (specifically Haleilo Rd). I'm guessing our next option would be a cab. Or perhaps there is a bus that runs that route?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

4. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2011, 19:26
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

Coconut Mall by no means is an attractive destination. Little remains there. Perhaps you have something specific on mind?Your post is confusing regarding the kayaking trip....how you are getting there, how long, etc. are you you wanting to go to Coconut Mall after kayaking, then return to the ship?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

Had ro remove my previous post, since your second posting lets us know why you want to get up there.

You say that you need ot get up there to go kayaking....

OK....no worries...there are , as far as I am aware, no dedicated vans that run between nawiliwili harbor and the coconut market place.

However, you sure can take a taxi, and have a nice, but easy drive up the East side. Might take about 15 or 20 minutes.

As to your ship coming into nawilwili harbor....NCL, Holland America, and Dawn Princes come in to the harbor and do a fine job of maneuving those huge long sea going cities. Now, they will also have tug boats , who stand off, to give a hand if necessary, but from what we see....those ships do it all on their own. Make it look easy.

As to putting passengers ashore along our rugged east coast. , I do not have a clue as to how they would do that, especially since it would have to be some horrendous seas and gale force winds to keep them out of Nawiliwili.

There is no other place to disembark passengers along our East coast, that I am aware of.

Now, getting up to the coconut market place....

same deal....order a taxi thru the ships personnel, or walk a bit our of the matson gate, over toward Anchor Cove Mall. On your right you will see a whole fleet of taxis in a stanging area near the Kauai Food Bank.

Two ideas ...have a great time kayaking the wiailua river and hiking to secret falls. Great choice.

Denny

Edited: 03 November 2011, 19:39
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

Are you sure you want to spend your few hours on Kauai at the Coconut Marketplace? So many better things to see and as far as shopping areas go the Coconut Marketplace is nothing to write home about anyway. Most of the better stores are long gone. It's largely ticky tacky, imo. Tourists will stop by there maybe to fill some time but it's not worth a cab ride to it with so many other things to see on the island. Just my opinion.

California
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

I also agree with bypassing the Marketplace. You can spend your few hours much better. The place is nothing to write to write home about and half the place was empty shops last time I was there.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

Thanks Denny. The Golden Princess will be our ship. We took it in March '09 and the wind/currents concerned the captain enough that he cancelled our port of call there :( For that reason, we will wait to book the Kayak trip until the morning we actually arrive. The company said it should have openings for us still (otherwise we would lose the $$ we paid to reserve if cancelled due to ship not pulling in).

Yup! We get to do the hike to 'Secret Falls' as well! We hope the ship makes it in; the kayak/hike will be nice. I'm heading over to check out taxi websites for Lahaina to the kayak location. Do you know if there are any concerns with taxi's (one company has better reviews, unscrupulous drivers/companies, etc).

Thanks again, Denny! :)

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle from Nawiliwili Pier to "Coconut Market Place"

NapaGuy and Clint,

We were only taking the shuttle for an "affordable" way to get to the kayak/hike location we plan to do (as it down the street from the Marketplace). Somewhere here at TA or CruiseCritic, someone in an older post mentioned the shuttle. When I checked it out though, I couldn't find any current info. It makes sense that if the larger stores pulled out, that the shuttle probably pulled out too.

We'll look into a taxi :)