We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling?

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling?

Our family will be in Kauai from Dec 9 for a few days. In an earlier post I was advised that snorkeling prob won't be available due to the weather at that time of year.

I was wondering if snorkeling will be possible around the island of Niihau though? There is a catamaran and snorkel trip that goes to : Napali Coast & Niihau Super Tour.

Is anyone able to let me know please?

Mary

Na Pali Catamaran
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Blue Dolphin Charters
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kauai Sea Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling?

Snorkeling on the North shore may not be possible...but you should be able to snorkel on the south shore, weather and ocean conditions permitting. I cannot speak to snorkeling near Ni'ihau though I expect the boat trip would be pretty rough

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,517 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling?

Your best bets will be Po`ipu and Lawai beaches, both on the south shore, but watch the surf reports. You could get lucky and have good days on the north shore.

From all reports, snorkeling at Lehua Rock (Ni`ihau) isn't worth the tough trip across the channel. And in winter, I doubt it will be possible in any case.

The Na Pali Coast tours' emphasis is on seeing the coast. Some add snorkeling, weather permitting, but it's almost an afterthought. And in December it's more than likely not possible due to ocean conditions. People report less than stellar snorkeling anyway.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,124 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling?

I did some of the best diving in my life off Niihau....in summer. I wouldn't even think about taking that boat trip, but then I'm sensitive to seasickness. I'm pretty sure Niihau has the same issues in winter as the exposed north shore of Kauai, but call and talk to the company directly and do some searching here and using google to see if you can find others who have done it.

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling?

Wow..thanks for all the quick replies. Ok..I gather now to give up on snorkel questions on catamarans etc.

So, am I to assume from this also that, even though cruises are available around the Na pali coast, given the seasonal weather for December, they won't be worth doing anyway...even without the snorkel factor? So I also shouldn't consider sunset / dinner cruises given the time of year?

PS...I'm getting over a year of illness so I'm not as tough at the moment.

Thanks again for the help.

PS: I bought the Kauai guidebook and I have it now. It's a help.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,517 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling?

Whoa, hold on there. I don't think anyone said the cruises wouldn't be worth doing. Understand, though, that the water could be very rough.

California
Level Contributor
38,381 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling?

You just need to play it by ear, the snorkeling trip on a boat if that is what you are referring to.

I hope Kauai will be a healing place for you after a long illness. It has a special magical way of helping people get and be better.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling?

I've done the Holo Holo boat tour to Na Pali and Niihau but in early November and my husband checked the coast guard report (there is a phone number in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook where you can call and get a recording). The snorkeling was pretty good, saw a turtle and monk seal. However the crossing of the Niihau channel is VERY rough and I seriously doubt you could get over there in December.

Stick to the shore snorkeling, others here have given you good tips on beaches to check out on the south shore and you can also check with the lifeguards at the beaches that have them.

Have a good trip and hope you feel better when you experience the magic of Kauai.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,848 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling?

I agree - and that is one of the things I love about Kauai is that it does have lots of easy access shore snorkeling - no need for a boat trip!

Have a wonderful time - Kauai is a balm for many of us. :)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling?

The tour boats to Niihau actually drop anchor at Lehua Rock which is an outcropping off the north end of Niihau island. You can see Niihau in the distance. Snorkeling there is rough and not for novices due to the stronger currents. Water is very deep. Divers love it however. Expect to see some large critters zooming up from the deeper depths and surprising you - monk seals, green sea turtles. It's not a snorkeling spot to see colorful little fishies. Depending on the age and experience levels of your children you might not want to let them go in there.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 19:31
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling?

Here's a place where you can get current surf conditions:

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/ocean_report/

Click on each beach to see its forecast surf height. Note that right now (11/16) there are no advisories, and there is only 1-2 ft surf on the North Shore. Same at Poipu.

My favorite snorkeling spots are Ke'e and Tunnels, but I'm an admitted northaholic.

Hank