We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

Dallas, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

My girlfriend and I will be staying at the Hyatt on Kauai from 10-16 March. We are concerned about the weather and looking for advice for activities to include horseback riding (is Esprit ok???), diving, and zip line tours. In addition, any advice on restaurants and shopping is greatly appreciated. Bottom-line is we are a couple with no kids and want to keep it a romantic relaxing trip (hence why we avoided Maui and Oahu).

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Pagoda Antique Shop
Antique Stores, Flea & Street Markets
Banana Patch Studio
Gift & Speciality Shops
Aunty Liliko'i
Gift & Speciality Shops
BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

My recommendation for a romantic evening is dinner at the Beach House (my favorite restaurant) for the sunset. On your way, stop in Koloa and buy your sweetie a lei at Blue Orchid florist, or either supermarket (Sukeokas (sp?) or Big Save) as a surprise. She'll love it.

Since you're at the Hyatt, one morning do the beach walk from the Hyatt to Malehapu (spelling again??) At the beginning of the walk, you'll see a few people, but the further you get, the less people there are. Then when you get to Gillins Beach, have a lovely swim. You pass CRM Stables on this hike.

Have a great time - I wish I was back there again!!!

Mentioned in this post
Koloa
Koloa
Kauai, HI
Dallas, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

Thanks ILOVEKAUAI. DO you know anything about some cheap authentic local cafes in the area and what about shopping.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,871 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

What kind of shopping? I can give you a rundown.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

USMC...

Places to eat...

One wonderful and reasonable place for a great breakfast is JOES ON THE GREEN. You can sit outside on the patio, overlooking the golf course and mountains.

Joe's is NOT a greasy spoon type of restuarant. Excellent food, and super friendly service. Owners are JOE, ta-daah, and Caroline. Joe just may sit down with you, or at least stop by to see how you are doing. Caroline will be working her bones off. At least we get our hugs from her when we roll in.

We generally fix breakfast at the condo, but do stop by here for breakfast a couple or three times during our two week stays.

Also, on wed. and thrs evenings, at Joes,they have a wonderful dinner with live local entertainment ( hawaiian music ). Also, they have a happy and friendly bar.

We also go there a couple of times, and I believe on thurs..we first stop at the poipu shopping village for the fee hula show, and then drive the side road ( 2 minutes) to Joes for dinner.

Located on the road leading into the Poipu Shopping Village...just follow the signs to the golf course. About 4 minutes from the Hyatt.

---------------------------------------

We like to eat early, and have found it a bit more economical to have early pu'pu's and a sundowner.

KEOKIES PARADISE in the Poipu Shopping Village...we go early to avoid the thundering herds. very tropical south pacific atmosphere, and good food.

TOM KATs in Koloa town....Havent eaten here in a while, but it is easy going, and cafe style of food, but in kind of an antrium setting.

Hamura Saimin in LIHUE is very, very popular,and go early. We also stopped next door at ROBS GOOD TIME BAR AND GRILLE...had a bit of a surprise. I believe it was on a tuesday evening...and heard they had entertainment. Yep, they did....western music on tuesday, and line dancing. Honest, some of the locals were all duded up in boots and cowboy hats. Pretty friendly and fun.

Denny

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Shopping Village
Poipu Shopping Village
176 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa
Koloa
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

Since you're staying at the Hyatt, I'll give you my restaurant recommendations (we were in the same general area, just one loooonng week ago)

Tomkats in Koloa - has gone down since last year, we think. The fish was tough--I'm not sure how you make fish tough, but it was.

Pizzetta in Koloa - if you go, stick with the pizza. It's good, but can't say the same for their other menu items.

Keokis in Poipu Village - one of my favorites. But sit in the bar, don't bother with the dining room. Service is fast, food is excellent and well priced. Stick with wine or beer because I'd be surprised if they put much liquor in the mixed drinks. It's a very tropical feel place.

Sukeokas - grocery store has a snack shop right outside. Order out only, but it has really good food for cheap cheap cheap. (Hamburgers, beans and rice, stuff like that but great for lunch at the beach)

Beach House was the best - went there 3 times--couldn't get enough.

Joe's on the Green - previous poster recommended this and it was really good for breakfast and we did go for dinner when they had the Hawaiian music. The waitstaff are very friendly and nice. Joe is quite the comedian as well-had us all laughing.

We never ate at the Hyatt because we were going to get something at their outdoor cafe, but considered the prices outrageous (and we're not cheap). Better choice is to go down to Brennecke's Deli and get a made-to-order fresh sandwich to take across to the beach.

Duke's in Nawilili is excellent (about half an hour drive from Poipu)

But avoid Ricardos and Tokyo Lobby in Nawilili - not expensive but if you can't eat the food, why bother.

Shopping - go through all the shops in Koloa for sure. Poipu Village Shopping Center is also good. You have to go to Hilo Hatties for fun. My husband isn't much of a shopper so I grabbed a minute whenever I could :0)

You are going to have such a great time.

Oh, and a tip about the lei that you are buying for your sweetie. You have to put it around her neck and kiss her on both cheeks. So much fun.

Mentioned in this post
Pizzetta
Pizzetta
1,502 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa
Koloa
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,871 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

A quick rundown on shopping starting out west and working east around the island:

Red Dirt Shirt Factory near Port Arthur

Hawaiian Trading Post where Lawai Rd meets the Hwy.

Vendors at Spouting Horn

Jewelry store in Beach House Restaurant

Shops at the Hyatt

Poipu Shopping Village

Koloa Town

Shops at Kilohana

Kukui Grove Mall/Borders/Kmart

Anchor Cove Mall (Nawiliwili)

Vendors at Nawiliwili when ship is in

Hilo Hattie

Walmart

Kapaia Stitchery

Kinipopo Shopping Center

Coconut Marketplace

Waipouli Town Center

Wailua Shopping Plaza

Kaua'i Village Shopping Plaza

Kapa'a town

Kaua'i Products Fair/Red Dirt Shirt store also has Tommy Bahama at good prices (mostly imports, though)

Consignment Shop/Fruit Stand across from Fair

Kong Lung (Kilauea)

Shops at Princeville

Craft show at Church of the Pacific, if it's on

Hanalei Town

If you haven't yet gotten a copy of Ultimate Kaua'i Revealed, get one.

Mentioned in this post
Lawai Beach Resort
Lawai Beach Resort
478 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waipouli Beach Resort
Waipouli Beach Resort
1,473 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Spouting Horn
Spouting Horn
4,354 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Shopping Village
Poipu Shopping Village
176 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Coconut Marketplace
Coconut Marketplace
889 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Beach House Restaurant
Beach House Restaurant
5,041 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa
Koloa
Kauai, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

In addition to the good advice here, you might want to try Tidepool's at the Hyatt for dinner and all you have to do is walk down from your room. I suggest going to one of the free Hawaiian/hula shows at the Sunset Terrace at 5 PM and have a drink before your dinner reservations. Request a table by the waterfall in the restaurant.

You will probably be getting the free buffet breakfast every morning at the hotel with your package, so be sure and go to Joe's on the Green, for dinner either Wed. or Thurs. night.

Lots of good shopping in the hotel, and it is not expensive. Just enjoy your stay there.

One last thing. They give you lei's upon checking into the Hyatt. I usually buy my wife another one during our stay, if we are going to the Beach House, or Roy's in the Poipu shopping center for a nice dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

"Shopping is not expensive" at the Hyatt? It has been several years since I visited the Hyatt, but I remember some truly outrageous prices on artwork for sale there.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for romantic vacation (NO KIDS)

I didn't mean big ticket items like art work. I bought some leather sandals from the shoe store, my wife bought a sun dress, costume jewelry, bag and flip flops from the different stores in the hotel. They have a Sundries store, where we bought gifts to bring home.