We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

south africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

Hi

We have a trip planned to Kauai in March next year (2 people) and would like advice on where on the island to stay?

Its just a 4 day trip but wnat to hav easy access to most/all parts of the island and would like to stay on/very near good swimming beaches.

Would it be better to split it with 2 days on the north coast to do those areas and then 2 on the south for the southern sights?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

With just four days, I wouldn't split my time. Kauai is a small island and any drives you take will be scenic. In March, I'd stay on the South Shore. Check out Kiahuna Plantation; it's on one of the best swimming beaches on Kauai.

Happy planning!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

I agree that for 4 days it's not worth splitting your stay. You can easily make a day trip to other parts of the island no matter where you stay. Although we're big north shore fans I would agree that in March Poipu is probably your best bet - but make sure you spend at least a day on the north shore.

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

I can't believe I am saying this (you regulars know how I feel) but I would stay on the East side with just 4 days and stay at The Marriott. If that large hotel doesn't appeal to you, then by all means look into Poipu. The drive to the North Shore will be over an hour and a half so make it an all day trip.

The only way I would split a 4 day stay is if I stayed at the really high end hotels like Hyatt, Koa Kea and then stayed at the St Regis. It isn't worth it to split a stay and rent a condo. You have too many fees.

south africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

Many, many thanks for the great replies!

A few other questions: Is it ok to drive back from the north at night (if its an all day trip)? Does the timing of a day include seeing a bit of the famous Na Pali coast line?

...don't worry Jebett, your secrets safe with me ;)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

Another vote for the Marriott on Kalapaki Bay. For such a short stay it serves a few purposes.

It's "central"

It's the nicest (by far) centrally located resort

It's very convenient to the airport (gives more time on terra firma)

It's on a swimming beach ( hard to find at other east shore locations)

Lots in walking distance like restaurants ( again, not typical on the east shore)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

If you want to save big bucks, and still be in a good location for your 4 days, you may also want to consider staying at the Garden Island Inn. It's small, has a variety of rooms (top floor towards the back is really nice) and they offer free beach towels, chairs, etc. It's right across the street from the Kalapaki Beach (and close to the Marriott). I spent my first night there and was very pleased with the location and service.

7. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 December 2011, 17:05
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

Sure, you can drive back from the north at night, although you may prefer to negotiate the stretch between Ke`e and Princeville in daylight. It's rather narrow and curvy and has several one-lane bridges.

Your best bet for seeing the Na Pali coast is by boat or air. There are many boat tours available. Most, if not all, will leave from the south/west side in March.

You can do a helicopter or fixed-wing tour. The fixed-wing is cheaper, but I prefer the helo. Both are spectacular. Most of them leave from the airport in Lihu`e.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

We drove, at night, four time from North Shore to Poipu. We took full advantage of daylight while visiting there. It actually was kinda fun driving and winding at night, though we wouldn't want to do it in rain. Don't worry about the night drive. "JUst do it"!

One tip, though. Get gas anywhere else but Princeville. Kapaa has the cheapest gas at the South end of town. The station is on a triangle and hill, but great prices. Also, a cheap place with a car wash in Lihue, both on the main drag.

jebett, did you just get a flu shot or something? A North Shore gal selling out to the East side? I have to agree with you. For four days I would probably choose the East too. Good call, traitor!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in March? I place or split between N & S?

For 4 days, just pick one spot. The weather odds would say Poipu although Kalapaki wouldn't be bad either. You'll probably only have time for one trip to the north side in all likelihood assuming you spend another day on the mountain and the other 2 playing at the beach/shopping/etc. Don't want to spend your 4 days in the car I wouldn't think.

Night driving isn't horrible, but it is indeed very dark. In a driving rain it's no fun at all, but if it's raining that hard, head south and west anyway.

4 round trips NS to Poipu? Wow. That's an endorsement for splitting your stay if I ever heard one.