We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lawai Beach, Kiahuna Plantation or Kuhio Shores?

Save Topic
Lawai Beach, Kiahuna Plantation or Kuhio Shores?

We are a family with two pre-teens who are coming in early April. We'd like to stay in a place where we can walk to a good swimming/snorkeling beach, where the condos are clean, attractive, and reasonably quiet (not a party place). A pool would be nice too, but I know Kuhio Shores doesn't have one. Can someone help us choose between these sites? Oh, and we'll also be using this as a base to go up to Waimea Canyon.

Mahalo

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lawai Beach, Kiahuna Plantation or Kuhio Shores?

We stayed at Kuhio shores last year for 2 weeks and will again for 3 weeks this year. Kiahuna Plantation would be our second pick. Lawai Beach condos are across the street from the beach and the views are kind of iffy. Of course, it depends if you're particular about having nothing between you and the ocean, which is what you get at Kuhio Shores (especially if you get an ocean view rather than bay view suite).

Lawai Beach and Kuhio Shores are right next to Lawai Beach which is excellent for swimming, snorkelling and surfing. Kiahuna Plantation has a beautiful, sandy beach but when we were there last year, the waves were too heavy to permit swimming or snorkelling--they teach surfing there, which is fun to watch. But it's a short walk from Kiahuna Plantation to Poipu Beach which has excellent swimming and snorkelling. We walked through the Kiahuna grounds and the facilities look very well kept, although some units are very far from the beach.

We were on the ground floor of Kuhio Shores and had absolutely no problem with noise--all we could hear was the ocean.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lawai Beach, Kiahuna Plantation or Kuhio Shores?

If you're set on staying in the Poipu area, the Kiahuna Plantation is very popular and gets good reviews. It has a pretty wide range of prices and different types of decor for the rooms. I'd love to tell you that I have a nice, clean oceanfront condo with a pool on the east shore right by Lydgate park (which is fantastic for the kids), but my post would probably get removed by the Tripadvisor.com police. Good luck.....