We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condos near swimmable beaches

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Condos near swimmable beaches

We're going to Hawaii in June. We'd like to book a condo that has a good swimming beach within walking distance. It seems like many of the beaches are not swimmable. Any suggestions?

Coarsegold...
Level Contributor
270 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condos near swimmable beaches

My wife and I haven't stayed at a north shore condo (yet!), but we've been to several nice swimable beaches on the south & east shore, staying in condos not far away. Poipu and Lawai beaches (South) and Lydgate Park beach (East) to name just a few. Ocean and weather conditions have to be carefully observed and rough seas are to be respected, but our experience has been these beaches will be generally mild and pleasant for swimming.

1) SOUTH Shore... Lawai beach, in front of The Beach House resturant (excellant for a sunset dinner &/or drinks) between Spouting Horn and Poipu beach, is considered one of the best snorkeling spots on the island, with a reef just offshore. Poipu beach is considered one of the nicest beaches in all Hawaii. Both the Kiahana Plantation condos and Marriott Waiohai (Nice timeshare condos), are near or ON Poipu Beach. Poipu has lifeguards on duty, a big beach with a large grassy park area with showers, restrooms, and picnic areas. As for condos near Lawai beach, The Kuhio Shores (50 yards, with great Oceanfront views at waters edge!) and Prince Kuhio (75 yards, Kuhio Park/ocean views and a pool!, we stayed in #213), are both within walking distance.

2) EAST Shore... Wailua Bayview condos and Kauai Coast Resort (Nice timeshare condos, & my wife's favorite, so far) are across the Wailua river mouth from Lydgate Park beach (south about 15-20 min. walk, or 3-5 min. drive) which has restrooms, beach showers, picnic areas, lifeguards on duty and a nice sea-wall protected swimming/snorkeling area.

Remember, most condo units are individually owned and decorated, so check out any photos and descriptions to help with making choices. There are several websites that rent units at these condo locations, you can do a google search (by condo name) and begin your search for your home-away-from-home in paradise.

ALOHA, and have a nice trip!

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condos near swimmable beaches

Thanks for all the great information. I'll start some google searches now!

Coarsegold...
Level Contributor
270 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condos near swimmable beaches

B-T-W, if you haven't gotten a guidebook yet for your trip, make sure you pick up "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" from Wizard Publishing (under $15 at Amazon, B&N, etc.). The writers are local and give excellant advice on lodging (ratings, photos, etc.), dinning options, things to see & do, etc. The information will make your trip even more enjoyable!