We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

Minneapolis
4 posts
Save Topic
Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

We are in our 50,s, but dive, climb, run etc...not your typical 50's people. We have been to Maui several times and want to see Kauai. Is there a place that (no offense) is not over run with families, but has fun things to do and not be a senior center?? Thank you.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

What time are you planning to visit? If it's outside the school holidays (Spring Break/Easter, summer, winter break) you won't have to worry too much about families.

The Hyatt is the most resort-y of all the hotels, with a full activities calendar - but really there is so much to do on Kauai that you probably won't spend a lot of time at the hotel.

Pick up a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Guide by Doughty to get an idea of all the fun things to do.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

You sound a lot like my wife and I. We really enjoy staying in private cottages since they provide a lot more privacy than a hotel or even a condo. We've never had problems with being overrun with kids. The best location will depend a lot on when you are planning on travelling.

Kauai is the perfect place to do the kinds of things you like to do and enjoy the great outdoors.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

DW and I are in our 50's and we stay most commonly at Poipu Kapili these days and the last couple of trips to Kauai have done the St. Regis at Princeville for two nights before moving down to Poipu.

I am a competitive swimmer still and she is a tri-athlete and we find Poipu a great place to keep up our routine.

If you want a hotel in Poipu the Grand Hyatt is by far the nicest, but we like the location of the Sheraton better.

Other great condo complexes are Kiahuna Plantation, Koloa Landing, Waikomo Stream Villas and Whaler's Cove (although I like the location of the others better). It just depends on your budget.

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

"We are in our 50,s, but dive, climb, run etc...not your typical 50's people." What does this mean?? Everyone in their 20's, 30's, and 40's dives, climbs, and runs, and those over 50 are mostly sitting around knitting in a senior center??

I think you'll find plenty to keep you active on Kauai. Kids or seniors shouldn't be a problem.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

I haven't been to Maui, thus I can't relate to your frame of reference. Don't worry about children or seniors. Your active 50 lifestyle won't stand out at all; many travelers to Kauai are in their 50s and up and are quite active. I've seen 80 year olds hoofing it up the hill from Secret Beach as if it were nothing. There are children in Kauai, but not in Disneyworld-like density. Might want to think about training up to keep up:>)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

Kauai22, I had to chuckle at your post because I was thinking the same thing. It's not at all unusual for 50 year olds to be just as active as 20-40 year olds.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

Glad to hear that DH and I are coming at the end of Jan and I am in late 50's and DH is older and we are very active ,I do Triathlons and he is a hiker. We have chosen Kauai because of the things we saw to do and the space everyone has,not the overcrowding of some other paces.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,185 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

Bikpela -- You've obviously offended everyone over 50. You are definitely not the only physically active baby boomers. I'm over 60 and just about everyone I know in my age range is physically active. I do think that is the norm, not the exception for our generation. I've been to Minneapolis too and did not find "typical 50 year olds" to be sedentary.

In fact, due to schools dropping physical education programs, our generation is MORE likely than younger generations to appreciate the benefits of physical activity.

You will be amazed at the number of super fit 80 year olds that you will see on Kauai. Go down to the Hyatt fitness center and watch the local members, many of whom are 70 plus seniors, run rings around YOU!

Yes, Pick up the Ultimate Kauai Guide and go off for a hike on your chosen trail. Be prepared to be passed at a fast clip by people older than you.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

I was happy to see the responses. Sheesh - sounds like Bikpela thinks mid-50's is nursing home material. Minneapolis is known to be one of the 'fittest' big cities - and not just for those under 50. Must be too busy impressing him/herself to have noticed.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for fun for middle aged travelers no kids, active

Hi - we are in your age group and love Kauai -- we did when we were younger too. We also prefer quieter settings without a lot of noise from kids, etc. So, generally we avoid the bigger resorts. We love renting cottages on Kauai and also condos in smaller developments (without water slides). Kuhio Shores on the south shore is a good one (no pool) and there are some great cottage rentals up north - Anini Beach, Hanalei, Haena where privacy is important. Don't fret the "senior"l angle -- this is not Hallandale FL.