We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Used all our miles finally booked !

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Used all our miles finally booked !

Got our ticket booked for our 2 weeks in August. We have been saving miles for 4 years ! Got 4 round trip tickets for a total of $1000. Feel we got a deal ! This will be my husband and I's 4th trip there- our 14 yrd olds 2nd trip and our 22 yrd old sons first. Gonna be fun !

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

Always good to get that part done. Where are you staying?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

Gee, not a bit excited are you? ;-)

3Chihuahuas

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

3Chihuahuas - I'm just a LITTLE excited ! LOL

Shanty - we have chosen to break it up to 3 different places. We love all sides of the island and love to have easy access to our condo due to our daughter having some health issues. So we have a condo at Waipouli Condos for 5 days - 5 days in a cottage on the west side and one at Plantation at Princeville for 5 days. I know it's a lot of moving around but we've done it this way before and we prefer it that way. That way we are where we want to be early in the morning - can shower and relax before we enjoy the evening on each side. There are restaurants and places that we love for each place and want to take advantage of it all !

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

woo hoo - doesn't that feel good?!! Nothing like having a trip in your backpocket, I like to say! I know how tough it can be to do it with miles, too. I booked my July trip last fall in order to accomplish that w/miles. Have fun!! :)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

Four RT tickets using miles for $1,000 ? Did you use the miles plus cash program? Just curious how it worked.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,672 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

Napaguy, I suspect the $1000 was the $250 per ticket some airlines are charging to book using miles, which I find egregious.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

I have never heard of an airline charging $250.00 as a fee just to book using mileage. And I travel using mileage points a lot. If you're talking about the "mileage plus cash" program then yes. But the cash amount depends on how many miles you're having to buy.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

The $1000 was because we didn't have enough miles and I had to purchase some. Through Hawaiian Airlines I actually was able to purchase miles cheaper than they wanted for the price of the ticket so it was still a good deal. I basically got almost 3 free tickets. It costs alot to get to Kauai from DFW. Scouting around on all the ticket places it was going to be almost $1000 pp. My husband is a postal worker so his vacation time is set in stone and to maximize our time off we travel on Friday and Sunday - costs alot more - but it gives us the most days and it's worth it to us.

We don't fly alot - about once or twice a year so it takes a long time to rack up those miles for us.

We are doing a 12 hour layover in Vegas and rented a Dodge Charger using my AA miles - that's a sweet deal too.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

TXGal, that's what I figured. You had to use the cash + miles program. Still, you got a very good deal that you should be proud of. Only $1,000 for everyone to fly to Hawaii is the deal of a lifetime.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Used all our miles finally booked !

Good catch with the AA miles for the car rental. It can be a great value, especially when rates are high.