We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

Denver
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

I'm deciding between marriotts waiohai beach club (poipu) and outrigger waipouli beach resort. Traveling with husband and two small kids (ages 1 and 3). A great pool, walkable beach (that kids can play on and We can be right on with an ocean view) and preference to walk around to things such as restaurants and stores is key. Initially was leaning towards poipu bc of monk seals and beach seemed a bit more kid friendly based on recommendations. We are definitely looking for relaxing family experience and do not need exciting night life. My first trip to hawaii so would like it to be as authentic as possible. Also want ability to walk to thinks like beach luau dinners, etc. Would love to get insight comparing two places (resorts and areas of island). Will be staying for 8 nights in early September. Thanks.

Thanks

Edited: 07 January 2012, 05:25
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
877 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

Waiohai is definitely more kid friendly. 3 pools, one of them with two wading areas, a playground on site as well as easy access to Poipu beach playground, kid club activities, and the toddler haven of Kauai at the Poipu beach lagoon. My sister just spent 3 weeks at the Waiohai with her 2 year old and every day they were out at the lagoon or the pool. The beach at the Outrigger waipouli is not kid friendly (or people-friendly) at all, and though Lydgate is safe for kids it isn't as clear and warm as the Poipu beach park.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

My opinion, I have been to Poipu and Kapa'a. Saying the beach at Waipouli is not kid friendly is rediculous, at least based on when we were there in February. It is like your own private beach, and looks like a Corona commercial. It does have slippery rocks in the water but Im going to assume your 1 and 3 year olds aren't surfing yet. For getting wet, and having quiet space for family time it is ideal. There were few to none using it. It has a long winding pool area, with a shallow sandy beach built into it. Some claim it to be the best pool on the island. The on-site restaurant is upscale, and not ideal for small ones (Fancy expensive tapas). They were setup for a snack bar but it was not used for anything but cook space for Oasis when we were there. The flip side is that you are across the street from several stores, restairunts and coffee places etc.. There is also a pizza place on the same side of the street. Poipu IMO is not meant for walking for little ones. There is no formal playground on-site but there are ground floor units with a fairly large greenspace, and the units are very large and luxurious. You will read about traffic in Kapa'a, but it is non-existant compared to any civilized place on the mainland. We loves our stay at Waipouli. BTW you don't have to rent from Outrigger only. You can find units on vrbo.com, and we rented from kauai Calls. I think they are also the same or affiliated with Parrish. Our stay at Poipu Kai in Poipu was also great so get more data. In Poipu you will not be alone on the beach, but it is beautiful and calm.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

It is nice that 2Shorties enjoyed their stay at the Outrigger Waipouli, but saying, "some claim it to be the best pool on the island", is like saying, "some claim Olive Garden the best Italian restaurant in Los Angeles". People may say it, but it doesn't make it true.

The Grand Hyatt has the best pool on Kauai and the Marriott Waiohai's pool is easily as nice as the Waipouli.

And yes, the beach at the Waipouli isn't kid or people friendly. The beaches in East Kauai are generally not swimmable. The beach in front of the Marriott Waiohai is the most protected of the Poipu beaches.

And yes, the main highway on Kauai runs directly behind the Waipouli so how that makes it more kid friendly and walkable for kids some how escapes me. I'd look at both addresses in Google Maps and look at the roads they sit on.

The Waiohai is at 2249 Poipu Rd, Koloa, HI 96756 and the Waipouli is at 4-820 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa, HI 96746.

In addition to a keiki pool, the Waiohai also has a keiki play area with a playground structure. There is a pic of it in the TripAdvisor in the review section.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think you deserve accurate information.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 06:57
California
Level Contributor
36,077 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

Marriott hands down. WBR has a great pool, but the beach beats out that lazy river any old day. With your kids so little, it is better to have them in a safer beach environment. That is what they will end up doing.... eating sand.

Kauai Calls is not the same as Parrish.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 07:09
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

Waiohai hands down from me and this is from someone who loves to stay in Kapaa. However, isn't the Waiohai double the price of Waipouli?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

Without hesitation...Waiohai in Poipu, The Resort is centrally located to all of the things you mention you want for this holiday.

Sunny Poipu is a most lovely location and Poipu beach park is a favorite for a reason.

While the units at Waipouli are nice...some of the views are of the Grocery store across the HWY. The traffic bottleneck to navigate around there leaves something to be desired.... The beach is mostly deserted for good reason....strong currents and riptides. There was a time when the property had issue with non guests "crashing" the pool area......Not certain if that still goes on.

Oh yeah...Sunsets in Poipu are spectacular.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

I see lots of positive comments about the Poipu area, and with good reason. I stayed in that "area" (Whaler's Cove) and also on the east side (Kauai Beach Villas) several years ago . My children (then 7 and 9) enjoyed both immensely! My parents joined us, and my mother liked the east side best for the sunrises and sound of the surf at night despite it being less luxuriou$. When my kids were very young as yours are, we didn't let them get far from us ever (especially near water!), and so as they explored the beaches they saw, we were right there with them. There was never a beach - sandy or rocky - that they didn't enjoy, as it is all so new to them! I expect that you would enjoy either place a great deal. I also think that to truly enjoy Kauai's beauty requires that you drive around and explore MANY beaches and other sights! You are not stuck with the one at your resort. We are staying at the Waipouli in July b/c it is central, has lots of grocery / eating options nearby, has a great pool, and beautiful units. Ours is direct oceanfront with amazing views from all of the pics I've seen taken from it. The reviews are very good, but suggest that the views are only so-so if not oceanfront (although many loved it anyway...Kauai will do that...) I have been fortunate enough to travel to all of the islands as a kid, and to me Kauai is what Maui was in the 70's - early 80's. It is my favourite BY FAR now, and you will LOVE it no matter which you choose, I am certain :)

California
Level Contributor
36,077 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

<<However, isn't the Waiohai double the price of Waipouli?>>

Good point, but if you go on ebay or Craigslist you see folks selling their timeshare week (these are timeshares) and I've seen some pretty awesome rates.

Another idea (thought not beachfront) is The Westin in Princeville. They have the cutest pool for little ones (turtles sticking out of it) great bbq facilities and a shuttle to the beach where the St Regis is located. Sept and the North Shore are ideal.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

The road behind Waipouli is only a highway in name. It is just a few lanes of relatively slow moving traffic with crosswalks and stoplights to make a crossing prefectly safe. Looking at pictures as suggested above is always a great idea before booking a resort.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott waiohai beach club vs outrigger waipouli beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Since I live here in the Po'ipu area, I've not stayed at either property - but I am familiar with the Marriot Waiohai property pretty well - it is a very keiki (child) friendly property - in fact, it is known for that around here.

There is a beautiful section of Po'ipu Beach directly in front of the property and you are within easy walking distance to Po'ipu Shopping Village, which has everything from Starbucks to Keoki's Paradise, to Puka Dogs and quite a few other places. There is also a free Tahitian dance show there a couple times a week.

Given the location of the two properties - I'd give a definite thumbs up to the Marriot Waiohai.

Malama Pono,

Janet