We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Kauai!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Kauai!

We are planning a trip at the end of April. I am used to going to the beach in Tulum which is long and sandy - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world actually. We are beach people. Will I be disappointed in the beaches on Kauai? It certainly looks like a beautiful place. I want to be sure I can swim in the ocean when its nice and calm. Leaning towards Hanalei or Anini for a place to stay.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Kauai!

We were used to Akumal and Tulum too. Then an opportunity to visit Kauai came.

The beauty, feel, safety, mountains, lushness, people, beaches, cliffs, canyons, chickens, North Shore, just everything about Kauai will not make you miss Tulum at all.

You won't be disappointed at all, more pleasantly surprised. You locale choices would be good ones too.

Now we would chose Kauai over Tulum, except for the cost.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Kauai!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. While I love the Mayan Riv. beaches and those in Punta Cana, neither comes close to the overall beauty of Kauai for me!

Cheers!

Steve

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Kauai!

OK fantastic! I won't worry then. The flights are a great deal so I think we should go ahead with our plans. I am sure we will love the lushness of the island. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Kauai!

Hanalei Bay was rated #1 best beach in the United States in 2009 and Poipu Beach #1 in 2003, so, hopefully, you won't be disappointed. I'd stay in Hanalei or Poipu. Anini is pretty, but every time I've been there during the summer, it's like a lake. I prefer swimming at Hanalei Bay or at Poipu in front of Kiahuna Plantation and the Sheraton.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Kauai!

Here is a recent discussion of the beaches and it includes a link to a beach safety article that I think is a must read before you jump in. Get a good guidebook and always ask a lifeguard for tips and for recommendations to other beaches. When I did they were knowledgeable, friendly and really helpful. I've been to Tolum. You will love Kauai. The North side is very laid back. So is the west side, which is dry and hot. When you visit the Canyon, drive west to Polihale beach - though the cane fields on a dirt road - the beach is miles long, and ends at the Napali (sic) cliffs. It is isolated and spectacular. No lifeguards, steep drop off and strong longshore current when I was there so I never went in. If you get messed up in the currents and swells there is nobody to help and there is lots of open ocean ahead.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Kauai!

Oops here is that link

tripadvisor.com/…

California
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Kauai!

You won't be asked to buy Chiclets on the beach if that matters to you! LOL

Check out some Youtube videos of people walking along Hanalei Beach. You look to those mountains with the red dirt shimmering in the morning sun and you say Mexico what?

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Kauai!

no worries, kauai will take your breath away. enjoy every moment.

9. Re: First trip to Kauai!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:21